Small Business Server 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDFab (UI/General) Small Business Server 2012

In my setup, I keep all my files directly attached to an MS Small Business Server 2012. I've tried to install DVDFab there, but the install halts and states that it's not a supported OS. I'd really prefer to do all the operations directly on the server, rather than doing on a desktop over the network to the storage on the server.

Would it be possible to remove the install restriction for the SBS 2012 OS? It's in effect a Windows Server 2012, AKA Windows 8. It would make things a lot easier and faster.

I use Copy/Ripper and BD Copy/RIpper.

I suspect that you're really running Windows Server 2012 Essentials, since there wasn't a Small Business Server 2012 version - it stopped at SBS2011.

You've not told us whether the server is installed on hardware or a VM, but either way, you don't really want to be running DVD-Fab on it. For speed, Copy/Ripper and BD Copy/Ripper will want to be using the GPU for the transcription/decode/encode and you won't get that advantage on server hardware or a server operating system - even if you did install a decent GPU assisted card in the server.
    Even then, there's generally too much running on a server, especially if you've got multiple clients, Remote Access, Exchange on-premise, etc., running there, and the whole operating system is optimised for data throughput rather than locally running programs.
    You could try playing with the compatibility settings for the install file, but your best bet is to run DVD-Fab on a workstation/client PC and then transfer the ripped files to the server or a NAS drive.
    At home, over the years I've run all the SBS versions on my servers (HP ProLiant ML300-series), and used to store the DVD rips on its data-drives after transcribing on a workstation. But, since I now have five-Terabyte of DVD rips, I've moved the lot to a Synology NAS unit with RAID 6. The NAS also backs up my company files and SBS images, but I also back up to Ultrium tape as well.
    Hope that helps in some small way!

Comment

Correct - 2012 Essentials as a baremetal install. I don't care about speed, which is why I want to run it there. It's on a much more capable piece of equipment than my desktop.

Comment

Working...
      X