Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Copy A little bit of more control over compression ratio

Hi

I have a request regarding DVDFab. The request comes from DVD Shrink 3.2 which I used to use. Unfortunately, it's no longer updated. While copying DVD9 into DVD5, DVD Shrink also compressed DVD such that the content of any disc could be placed in one DVD5 disc.

But it has extra option called "Custom Ratio". Custom ration would let me decide which component of DVD to be compress using different ratios.

For instance, if a disc has Menus, Main Content, Extras etc. by suing DVD Shrink, I could decide that Menus and main content would be more compressed, with less quality but giving more space, let's say 50%, and give me more space and better quality for the main content

I don't know how much it would increase the quality of the main content, though main movie is big compering to menus and extras

PS> As you have this forum, I though I would spam you with a couple of suggestions
    Last edited by Franek; 06-15-2016, 04:34 PM.

Originally posted by Franek View Post
    I have a request regarding DVDFab. The request comes from DVD Shrink 3.2 which I used to use. Unfortunately, it's no longer updated. While copying DVD9 into DVD5, DVD Shrink also compressed DVD such that the content of any disc could be placed in one DVD5 disc.

But it has extra option called "Custom Ratio". Custom ration would let me decide which component of DVD to be compress using different ratios.
    +1

I haven't used DVD Shrink in many years. I think this would be a great feature to have in DVDFab for both Blu-rays and DVDs.

Comment

+2

Comment

Good ole days

If you rip to a mp4 format you get a smaller file and you can put a load of them on a $50. portable HD and play them thru a smart tv or a good Blu-ray and its about the size of a phone. then you can box up those worthless dvd's and enjoy ur stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by iamtherealfrog View Post
          If you rip to a mp4 format you get a smaller file and you can put a load of them on a $50. portable HD and play them thru a smart tv or a good Blu-ray and its about the size of a phone. then you can box up those worthless dvd's and enjoy ur stuff.
          I agree. I have this setup.

Works like a champ.

Comment

Good ole days

I bought a USB Full Hd 1080p HDD Media Player Hdmi VGA MKV H.264 on amazon for $31.50 it's portable has a remote easy to take anywhere it does require a plug to power it but it will power the portable HD and the sweet thing is it don't know cinavia

Comment

Just to add on to this, in addition to slider (percentage % options) for each menu/main movie/extras (removal of un-needed subtitles) etc. there should be like quality settings for compressing to DVD5 - even if it takes longer to analyze the DVD - there's an option in DVD shrink that lets you have "Maximum Smoothness" or "Maximum Sharpness" depending on preference.

Sure it takes an extra few minutes to add on to the encoding but it's definitely worth it since it dramatically improves the image quality on the copy.

When I've used the DVD5 option of DVDFab the image quality has been grainy and very pixelated if the DVD is around 7k+ or more in compression amount.

What I used to do was make a DVD9 copy with DVDFab and then use DVDshrink to compress the files w/ deep analysis with maximum smoothness - HOWEVER - because most Lionsgate and some PBS DVD / licensors have been adding new encryptions; it creates a defect in the DVD copy that after pressing Play movie in the menu option - it will pause on a black screen, or on a particular start of an episode of a series won't play automatically unless you fast-forward with a remote control. At least that's the experience I've encountered with my DVD player.

So yeah, more quality settings/options when making a DVD5 full disc copy would be wonderful.

Comment

You can set the size and amount of compression in common settings. I set DVD-5 to 4472 using customize. Less compression and still leaves a little room if it goes over a bit.
                Attached Files
                How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                X