Better way to handle disc read errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better way to handle disc read errors

This applies to all discs, so there isn't a good prefix to use. A problem people have is that they get discs that are damaged and can't be fully read. Sometimes with a lot of retries the disc can finally be read, other times not. Sometimes one can get a second disc of the same (say library or off ebay/craigslist), sometimes this is also damaged, but if its not damaged in the same place and is the same disc data, it shouldn't matter, one should be able to recover the full image.

In fact, I do this regularly with a little help from linux, but it be nice if it was integrated into dvdfab itself.

I use ddrescue, it lets one read a block device, and create a map for the copied/not copied portions. You can run it forever where it will roll through the uncopied portions until it copied or replace it with another disc to try to fill in those blocks.

For DVDs I then run it through dvd decrypter (yea, old school) to decrypt it to an ISO (as this is just a block by block decrypt, structural protections do not matter as not expecting it to be able to handle the newest protection schemes, though in practice newer DVDs don't seem to be using them much) and then run that ISO through DVDFab (it can handle the newer structural protections) This works because dvd decrypter can brute force the css keys while DVDFab cannot (or at least last I checked). If it was all integrated into DVDFab itself, one wouldn't have to brute force the disc as one would have it there as well.

I've done the same blu-rays using other open source tools to decrypt it. This works less well if there are java protections as to disarm those, you need proprietary knowledge and that is where DVDFab comes in handy. I haven't seen a disc which I couldn't "Fix" this way yet, but expect that it might happen (though the new fix function might alleviate that as well).

anyways, it be nice if functionality like this was built in.

Thank you very much for the suggestion, we are improving the handler for read error, it should be available soon.
    DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
    http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

Working...
    X