X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MP4 with AC3 for Apple TV and Dolby Digital

Hi,

I've a new Apple TV hooked up to my AV Amp with the optical output. I can use DVDFab to rip my DVDs in the mp4 (h.264 + aac) format, and iTunes synchronises them onto the Apple TV. It all works great ...

... except that the audio received by the amp is Dolby Pro-Logic, and not Dolby Digital. I've spent a couple of days reading up on this, and now understand that AAC is not the same as AC3, and hence the results.

But, I've found that Handbrake can produce mp4 (h.264 + AC3 passthrough). I've produced a couple of rips this way, using DVDFab to make an unencrypted VOB, and then Handbrake to make the mp4 with Dolby Digital surround sound.

But I find it a much slower process, and more complicated with having to switch applications.

I've seen a few threads here already asking how to get dolby digital output from either an mp4 or AppleTV, and the replies are usually along the lines of either "mp4 doesn't support AC3" or "Apple TV will output AC3 if it's in the mp4 file".

My question is this - can DVDFab currently output mp4(h.264 + ac3 passthrough), and if not are there any plans to make it do so?

Thanks very much for your help!

Ben.

I don't think DVDFab supports AC3 in an MP4 but you could try creating a custom mobile profile to verify that.

Thread moved to feature requests.

Comment

Working...
    X