Source Disc Damage - TWICE - two different drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDFab (UI/General) Source Disc Damage - TWICE - two different drives

This is going to sound strange and paranoid but here goes...

Recently I attempted to rip a movie from an internal drive and in the process the source disk was damaged. In the ripping process the drive was making strange noises; it sounds like an old rusty dump truck driving down a gravel road. I could see there were read errors, so I stopped the process and popped the disc out. The drive had apparently scratched or ground into the data side of the disc; and it was hot. For about three weeks the drive had been giving me read error issues. So I thought it was a bad drive and I replaced it. The movie was ‘The Cell.’

Today I’m ripping a couple of movies and my external drive is making a similar noise – again, a different drive; this time an external drive. The movie was ‘The Good Shepherd.’ I thought that it completed because Fab ejected the disk. However, Fab ripped about 80% of the movie, got to 1:09:45 in the movie before ending. When I looked at the ejected disc I noticed the same kind of damage. It is no longer readable.

This is too much of a coincidence and I don’t know if I’m being paranoid by thinking it could be a potential virus. Of the probably five to six thousand discs my machines have processed I’ve never had this happen.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit

I really don't think software can do that kind of physical damage.. Seeing how many discs you have processed it must be due to stress and wear of the drives.

//LD

Comment

Two different drives, different days, different drive orientation, different discs, the same kind of damage. It's very strange. If I inserted the disc wrong I don't think the drive would have been able to read the disc. The drive(s) were able to not only read the disc, but it read the data without any problems and then rip a large segment of the movie before it proceeded to destroy the disc. It read the disc, then start the rip process and part way through start damaging the outer ring of the disc.
      Better a witty fool than a foolish wit

Comment

Working...
      X