X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Fab HD decrypter: Limit for DVDs should be 8147MB instead of 8000MB

Hi,

If I try to copy a DVD that's larger than 8000MB (say for example, 8090MB), DVD Fab HD decrypter will automatically compress it to 8000MB before transfering it to the harddisk. This results in some quality reduction and lost time.

Why?

Any DVD DL is perfectly capable of handling at least 8147MB, so I do not see the reason for having an 8000MB arbitary limit.

There is a way to remove it the Gold/Platinum version, but no way in the free version. So, in my laptop, where I have the free version, and in my friends computers who also have they free version, I am basically unable to make an 1:1 copy.

So, please shift the limit from 8000MB to 8147MB.

Thanks in advance,
    kurkosdr

With the FREE version, you get what you get.

If you do not like the choices, buy the PAID version.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Does this mean the the Free version does not allow this to be changed in the settings like you can in the Trial/Paid versions?

Comment

Apparently so, but I can't test as I only have the paid version and being quite honest, if that is the case, the user either lives with it or pays.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Hi, thanks for replying

In the paid version, in order to change the limit, you enter the options and then the "Write" tab. Then, you find the size option for DL DVD's, and you switch it from 8000 to 8147. Unfortunately, the free version doesn't have this tab (it has only "read"), so you can't make the change.

Since it's the free version, i obviously can't complain, but I guess i can make a suggestion in order to make HD decrypter even better than it already is.

I have the paid version too (except in the laptop), so it hasn't caused me any problems, but some of my friends have encountered this, and all of them said that if this limit didn't exist, DVD Fab would be perfect.

Since the limitation is probably not intentional (probably a mix up during the conversion from MB to GB), and since it's really easy to change the size limit, I thought it wouldn't hurt to drop this request into the request bin.

Thanks for reading,
          kurkosdr
          Last edited by kurkosdr; 03-03-2010, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Hi kurkosdr,

The default setting for DVD DL is 8100 MB, which should be enough for all discs.

Best Regards,
            Fengtao
            DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
            http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

Originally posted by fengtao View Post
              The default setting for DVD DL is 8100 MB, which should be enough for all discs.
              I believe the default was 8000, at least previously. If he has been using the free version of DVDFab for a while then he may have the old default. Newer versions do not update a previous default or user updated setting so he is stuck.

Comment

You need "Reset" settings to get it to 8100MB.
                DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.

Comment

Hi kurkosdr,

Best Regards,
                  Fengtao
                  But it's NOT big enough if you want to join two sides of a 2-sided DVD in order to put the iso on your HTPC. Dances With Wolves is 12gb when joined, and last I checked, DVDFab doesn't allow iso's to be larger than 8GB. In fact, I suggested the ability to make iso's larger than 8GB some months back. Is DVDFab now capable of this?

Comment

Hi kurkosdr,

Best Regards,
                    Fengtao
                    Sorry, but it's not enough for all discs. I 've seen discs with 8130MB of size. This is because the size of a DVD DL is 8147MB. So there is still a chance that once in a while you will come up with a pesky movie disc that's -say- 8120MB or 8140MB big, and then you will have to do the 99% compression, with all the lost time and quality.

So why not just set it to 8147?? Please. It's just 47 megabytes! What harm could they cause?

Please. This is the only flaw of an otherwise literally excellent program, so fix it and you will have something perfect!
                    Last edited by kurkosdr; 03-15-2010, 11:53 AM.

Comment

But the blank DVD+R DL disc size is only 8103.5 MB, if we increase the size to 8147, it cannot be burned to disc.

Comment

But the blank DVD+R DL disc size is only 8103.5 MB, if we increase the size to 8147, it cannot be burned to disc.
                        Strange... According to Wikipedia (and tests I have done with my DVD+R DLs), it should be at least 8152MB (and at least 8147MB for DVD-R DL)

What operating system are you using? Can you please confirm this by inserting the blank DVD+R DL into a Windows pc?
                        Go to your drive, right click "properties". There. you should see the capacity in Gigabytes, and then the same capacity in bytes. It should look like this:

Free space: 7.96GB (8547991552 bytes)

Now, divide the 8547991552 number by 1024 two times.
                        This is the capacity Windows users get...

If you are using Linux, chances are the conversion from bytes to kilobytes and then from kilobytes to megabytes may be incorrect.

Comment

I do think fengtao knows what he is talking about as he is DVDFab and has been doing this a lot longer than any of of who use his program

Comment

What about merging two-sided disks? If we're writing to an ISO, there should be no limit.

Comment

Originally posted by jsimmons View Post
                              What about merging two-sided disks? If we're writing to an ISO, there should be no limit.
                              I must admit that I'd also like to see a "No Limit" option when ripping to a folder or ISO.

Comment

Working...
                              X