Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please allow ability to disable the "Automatically shut down the PC when done" option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDFab (UI/General) Please allow ability to disable the "Automatically shut down the PC when done" option

I know it has been raised before but we really, really need the ability to hide/vaporise/nuke from orbit the "Automatically shut down the PC when done" option!!!

I realise that over the last year or so you have 'improved' the boundaries on the option box but I have still managed to tab back to Fab and click on that box just as a rip is ending and my PC then shuts down.

This is an option that I, personally, will NEVER use! Ever!

Can you not provide an option to hide it for those users, like myself, who never have a need for such an action? Default it to being there but please allow us to hide it!

Although I am one of those users that never uses it. I ask, why? Just don't click it. What's the big deal? Does it somehow anony you tgo have to see it? Just don'[t look at it. I actually forgot about it until I saw this thread.
    I love having the power to break copyright protection. Ever since I've discovered it I've hated it. It's great for putting video on an ipod. So I thank the team here for what they do.

Comment

As I've explained above, if you manage to click the box (and I acknowledge that the boundaries of the clickable area have been made smaller over the past few months, making it more difficult to click) then a forced shutdown can be very inconvenient!

Easy to say "don't click it".

Perhaps just as easy to give me an option to remove it for good and avoid the possibility of ever clicking the frigging thing again!

You could even make the option to disable the "shutdown" option only available to paying customers... another reason to buy a licence!

Comment

It is impossible to make the software idiot proof.

When that happens some one will invent a better idiot to bypass the fix.

Comment

well glad someone said it.

Comment

I like it the way it is easy access for the nights when I have one DVD to back up and too tired to wait for it to finish

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
              I like it the way it is easy access for the nights when I have one DVD to back up and too tired to wait for it to finish
              OK, you use it... but providing an OPTION to HIDE the "shutdown" option, for those of us who will NEVER use it and want to avoid clicking it by accident, wouldn't stop you not hiding it and continuing to use the shutdown option.

I fail to see why anyone would fight against an OPTION that would make my use of Fab more trouble free but wouldn't affect anyone who didn't want to hide the shutdown option!

Comment

Originally posted by rma View Post
                I fail to see why anyone would fight against an OPTION that would make my use of Fab more trouble free but wouldn't affect anyone who didn't want to hide the shutdown option!
                Because each option being considered takes time and resources to complete and there are other fixes and options that are much more important. Voicing opinions for and against gives DVDFab more information.

Not to worry though, if the developers like you idea then they will implement it. All of us here are just volunteers.

Comment

Originally posted by rma View Post
                  OK, you use it... but providing an OPTION to HIDE the "shutdown" option, for those of us who will NEVER use it and want to avoid clicking it by accident, wouldn't stop you not hiding it and continuing to use the shutdown option.

It amazes me how people still think that little programing elves come out of the walls overnight while we are all asleep, and write code that just "makes things happen". Coding something like this might not just be a one-liner. It might take 30 minutes or an hour or more, and the software engineers have to evaluate what their time is worth, and if the feature warrants being added/changed enough to the point where they think they will make a profit on sales because of that feature. You see, it is not enough to just sell the program a couple times after that fix is implemented and call it even...someone has to actually buy it because of that feature, making the programming time worth the effort, since multiple people will be using it.

Secondly...I don't see how you can click around so fast that you accidentally check this option and shut down your computer. This honestly is not a request from multiple people so I doubt it will be changed.

Thirdly...you know you could just open notepad, type some random characters, then minimize it. Leave it unsaved while you are using DVDFab, then when any program (including DVDFab) tries to auto shut-down your computer it will pause and ask if you want to save Notepad first. You can just select 'Cancel' at this point, and it will stop the shut down. That is your workaround for now.

-C

Comment

Update to the latest Beta as it has a few changes made where the Shutdown box is not showing like before DVDFab 8.0.1.5 Beta is out (September 20, 2010)

Comment

Thank you so much for seeing sense and moving this out of the way but still making it available to people who want to use such an option.

I still don't understand why people fought against such a suggestion but am glad that good sense prevailed in the end.

Very much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                      X