This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper embedded subtitles

I've been using DVDFab now for a few years but not for converting my videos to .MP4 (AVC/AAC) format. For personal reasons I need subtitles and prefer not to have the the clutter of external sub files.

It's just very neat and clean to embed them when possible. Currently I use Nero Recode but I would prefer to do everything in DvdFab and I feel this is an important feature due to the number of media players that now support embedded subs!

Part of what I do is setup Media Centers for people and this subject come up quite a bit because a lot of my clients are older people that want the option of subs and not all of their players support external subs files.

Agreed, would love to have this feature too!

Comment

Bugs,
      correct me if I'm wrong. You want to convert say DVD into mp4 using generic.mp4.h264.aac profile in DVDFab "DVD to Mobile" mode. With this conversion you want subtitles directly rendered into video.
      If this is correct, I'm not sure what the problem is?
      When you source is entered in main DVDFab window, video and audio are selected, you also select subpicture track. Subpicture is your subtitles, and you chose which one you want.
      Than you go to "edit" (new window will open) and change (or not) parameters for video and audio. Most importantly, you go "Subpicture" section (right bottom corner) and from drop-down select "Direct render to video". Click "OK"
      After process is done, you will have video with hard subs.
      However, if you want to be able turn your subs on and off, you have to change container. I don't believe mp4 support this option.

Originally posted by Bugs View Post
      I've been using DVDFab now for a few years but not for converting my videos to .MP4 (AVC/AAC) format. For personal reasons I need subtitles and prefer not to have the the clutter of external sub files.

It's just very neat and clean to embed them when possible. Currently I use Nero Recode but I would prefer to do everything in DvdFab and I feel this is an important feature due to the number of media players that now support embedded subs!

Part of what I do is setup Media Centers for people and this subject come up quite a bit because a lot of my clients are older people that want the option of subs and not all of their players support external subs files.
      sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Not Exactly..

I don't mean rendered onto the video directly, embedded is a process where the subtitles are part of the mp4 and can be accessed by video players like VCL that support embedded subtitles. Like I mentioned before there are a lot of players anymore that support this feature.

The subtitle can be turned on/off at will and not hard-coded onto the video. This adds the ability to change font size and type and also sometimes when my kids are watching the same videos they get annoyed at seeing subtitles on the screen so they can turn them off when their not needed.

Here's what I found on wikipedia about the subject.

Data streams

Comment

I misunderstood your request. My apologies
          I'm all for MKV. I believe MKV is our near future....
          So, disregard my comments then....

Originally posted by Bugs View Post
          I don't mean rendered onto the video directly, embedded is a process where the subtitles are part of the mp4 and can be accessed by video players like VCL that support embedded subtitles. Like I mentioned before there are a lot of players anymore that support this feature.

The subtitle can be turned on/off at will and not hard-coded onto the video. This adds the ability to change font size and type and also sometimes when my kids are watching the same videos they get annoyed at seeing subtitles on the screen so they can turn them off when their not needed.

Here's what I found on wikipedia about the subject.

Data streams
          sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
          For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
          For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
          Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

I was about to make same request, .srt subs are nice but not worth trouble to make (first code mkv+idx/sub, then vob then subrip then spellcheck), so my sub of choice would be the idx/sub merged into the mkv container.

And render is not an option, it looks bad.

Comment

Working...
            X