This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Encoding Quality focused option for H264 & similar codecs

Hi as an addition to the X to Mobile encoding menus (and perhaps an alternative option in DVD-DVD and BD-BD menus)

Add a slider for "Quality" level, as an alternative to bit rate and fixed file size...

Intention being to allow the system to optimises file size/bit rate based on the desired quality level.

Higher quality levels would enable more sophisticated motion estimation algorythms, b-frames, pyramidal b-frames, etc.... (ie lots more processing time in exchange for improved image and reduced file size)
    Possibly linked to a "compatibility checkbox" - as some of the more sophisticated options in this area may not be compatible with all software/decoders.

thanks

have you looked at the Video Effect Settings where you can experiment with Customized Settings to get what you want. Not exactly what you suggest but pretty close to it.

Comment

Originally posted by dlaloum View Post
      Hi as an addition to the X to Mobile encoding menus (and perhaps an alternative option in DVD-DVD and BD-BD menus)

Add a slider for "Quality" level, as an alternative to bit rate and fixed file size...

Intention being to allow the system to optimises file size/bit rate based on the desired quality level.

Higher quality levels would enable more sophisticated motion estimation algorythms, b-frames, pyramidal b-frames, etc.... (ie lots more processing time in exchange for improved image and reduced file size)
      Possibly linked to a "compatibility checkbox" - as some of the more sophisticated options in this area may not be compatible with all software/decoders.

thanks
      I absolutely agree, as well as developers. As far I know from developers they are working towards that direction and we will have GUI with Me-like tweaking options, which you seems proposing.
      sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Hi Ipopov50

That's heartening

Thanks AGJ yes I have checked those options....

What I am proposing is using some of the more in depth options of the H264 encoding/decoding mechanisms which allows for looking further ahead/behind (ie number of frames) as well as analysing the image in different ways to make the lossy compression more efficient, allowing for the options of higher quality or reduced filesize in exchange for increased encoding processing time.

These options exist within the underlying encoders within DVDFab but are not currently used.

These will add complexity - so need to be hidden in some options/submenus to ensure that the wonderful simplicity of the DVDfab interface is maintained.

There is also the potential that with GPU Based coding improving there may not be too much of a loss in encoding time...

Comment

Well I agree with you as this would be good for DVDFab and those who like to use settings they choose as what we get now does not give that much of option

Comment

Working...
          X