This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Automatically prevent illegal characters in filenames

If one uses an illegal character when specifying the filename DVDFab is to create, the resulting file will be the specified name up to the point of the illegal character -- there will be no file extension and, worst of all, the output file will be 0Kb in size. When an illegal filename is used DVDFab still runs through the entire process as if everything is okay.

DVDFab should filter out any illegal characters or give an error as soon as it is unable to create the designated filename.

Originally posted by cu_shane View Post
    If one uses an illegal character when specifying the filename DVDFab is to create, the resulting file will be the specified name up to the point of the illegal character -- there will be no file extension and, worst of all, the output file will be 0Kb in size. When an illegal filename is used DVDFab still runs through the entire process as if everything is okay.

DVDFab should filter out any illegal characters or give an error as soon as it is unable to create the designated filename.
    Normally, DVDFab does generates error 400 in cases when illegal characters in file name or directory are used. I have never heard case like yours. Size of your file shown 0 Kb because there is no extension and not attributes. What you should do is add appropriate extension (or rename file with appropriate extension added) after process is complete and open file with player like this one:http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/downlo...lassic-hc.html
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

In a version a while back, Fab implemented a forced file naming/volume naming convention check and there were too many complaints from users and this was dropped.

You can't have it both ways.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
        In a version a while back, Fab implemented a forced file naming/volume naming convention check and there were too many complaints from users and this was dropped.

You can't have it both ways.
        Sure you can. You can give the user the flexibility to name the file however he wants but prevent them from entering any characters that will prevent the file from being created (e.g. / ? < > \ : * | ” )

Comment

Don't hold your breath waiting for it.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
            Don't hold your breath waiting for it.
            I won't because I can live without it. But seriously, what would it take to implement...30 seconds of coding to strip the illegal characters from the string...pretty simple task to end up with a better product.

Comment

Working...
            X