Native Linux version Feature Request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDFab (UI/General) Native Linux version Feature Request

I know it's a longshot and, while it's been mentioned on the forum frequently, I don't see an official request for native Linux support.

Wine/Crossover support was broken for xxx to Mobile since at least the WMV conversion relied on the Windows Media Player Codecs (from what I can tell). It's now completely off the table since the registry key is too long for Wine to support which means you're stuck with a trial version.

Although unsupported, it works very well in a virtual machine - VirtualBox is a great asset in many respects for people wanting to prevent dual booting or just to partition system functions. However this is a bit kludgey and slow. More importantly, it's expensive. VirtualBox itself is free, however you still need a Windows license. I know there are plenty of ways around this technically, but from a legal perspective I'm in the minority in that my MAPS subscription gives me several copies of Windows that I can play with. The standard OEM license many people possess is good for installation directly on your hardware, but not for installation on virtual hardware (within the original hardware or not). Most OEM install media these days will also check your model number or install a heavily customized version that won't boot on generic hardware.

I expect a handful of people to reply to this thread saying me too, but an interesting gauge of "silent" support for a Linux-based app is to take a look at your W3C logs and see how many users of a particular OS hit your site. Still probably a small percentage of the hits considering DVDFab is Windows-only software, but may be intriguing to look at.

Another interesting aspect of a Linux version is that anyone can run it for free. Since VirtualBox is free and Linux is free so you can completely legally run a Linux VM on OSX or Windows without spending a single cent. I realize the irony of complaining about a VM-based solution and then pitching that everyone else should use it, but most people running Linux currently are in violation of the EULA so I'm really pitching that a legal VM is better than one of questionable legality.

More specifically, I'm currently running Ubuntu Lucid 32-bit, but I'd gladly upgrade to 64-bit or run another distro if it would make things easier. I also only use xxx to Mobile functions - primarily DVD but I've been experimenting with BluRay a bit.

Thanks for the consideration and I realize the effort involved not only in porting the codebase over, but also avoiding the GPL "infection" that may ensue depending on how you need to use some of the open source libraries. In the mean time I'm mostly content to plug away in my DVDFab VM and hope!

+1 For Linux support.

Although I'd be happy with getting a registered version to work in Wine. I would never need WMV conversion.

Comment

+1
      sorry if I bump an old thread..
      any news for Linux version?

Comment

+1 For Linux support.

Although I too would be happy with getting a registered version to work in Wine! After having successfully run the trial in Wine, I made the erraneous assumption that the registered version would run fine too ;-( And it runs painfully slow in VirtualBox.

Comment

Hi to all,

It's been many years that linux users have asked the DVDFab developers for a linux version and they have ignored the idea.. Instead they developed a Mac version.. I don't know how many request they had from Mac Users vs Linux users. But I guess they took a decision from it's users base instead/or based on request. (Only they know).

I am a linux user that have waited and waited for a native linux version of DVDFab, the last thing I knew is that DVDFab for linux did not register correctly in Wine, but I have also read that latest versions of DVDFab work just fine with Crossover and with latest versions of Wine.. Who knows?

In the mean time I am using other alternatives to Rip my movies to see them in my Tablet when I need to travel.
          I hope that someday our linux user base is measured in the right way (If it's even measured)

On the Mac side, Apple just say: We have 1 million Intel macs being used right now.. but on the linux world?. To be honest, I think that there are many linux PC's being used right now that are not traceable.

Every week I introduce linux to a new user and to be honest, they don't plan to come back to windows.

Regards
          Last edited by signals; 10-30-2012, 10:00 PM. Reason: forum rules

Comment

Originally posted by ZekeMX View Post
            Hi to all,

Every week I introduce linux to a new user and to be honest, they don't plan to come back to windows.

Regards
            Even governments change back from Linux to Windows.
            Best example is Munich in Germany. Info can be found on Google.

Comment

Working...
            X