Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DVD to Home server xvid files streamed to Iphone??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD to Home server xvid files streamed to Iphone??

Ok, I have ripped DVDs to a HP home server using best practices and then converted those rips to Xvid files for streaming over a wired network here at home, playing them using PS3s and WD Live media players. All works well, thanks to many of you guys for helping me through it. Now I want to stream the same avi / mkv files directly to my iphone, without converting them to mp4s. So I am looking for an app that will play avi mkv etc and that does this while streaming rather than copying / syncing them to my iphone. I know this is not what the forums are all about but maybe someone has run into this before. Anyway as always thanks ahead of time for your help, and happy Thanksgiving to those of you that celebrate it.

OR would it better to just load up the avi files in fab and convert them to MP4s?????? maybe.

Comment

I think TVersity media server handles transcoding on the fly. Not sure about the new versions of Twonky.

Give it a go.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by fotheena View Post
        OR would it better to just load up the avi files in fab and convert them to MP4s?????? maybe.
        fotheena,

In your original post you mentioned that you would prefer to stream your files to the iPhone rather than copy/sync them. If you change your mind you can download VLC Media Player free from the app store. It's from the same people who developed the great VLC Media Player for the PC. It has native support for .avi and .mkv (and many more formats) so no conversion is required. I believe it only runs on the iPhone 3GS and newer.

Comment

Well I'm going to just reconvert the ripped DVD files to mp4 format. Seemed like a pain in the azz at the time to do best practices but now I'm glad I have the rips, thank you very much GregiBoy. Guess my last question is I am thinking that mp4 h264 format is better than xvid all things being equal...... designed for streaming and a better overall video and audio wrapped..... would that be correct?

Comment

Working...
          X