Daytona Disappointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daytona Disappointment

I've not been a Nascar fan for MANY years but once a year I do enjoy watching the Daytiona 500 and Talledaga...except this year. I never watched speedweek or anything until raceday and then yesterday (raceday) I flip on the tv to see the most boring race ever (if you can call it that). Is it just me or are they driving the cars on a rail around the track? Nose to tail even in the turns, Really? Back when racing was racing if you got that close to someone there would most likely be a spinout. That was the exitement of the race, that was racing!!
    I laughed when one of the announcers said (and this is not a direct quote) "All these safety measures are in Dale Earnhardt, Sr's honor"...but if Dale was alive today they would have to revoke his nick "The Intimidator" at least while at Daytona lol.
    Just repaving the track resulted in this boring spectacle? Safety is a good thing but it's time they lose those restrictor plates or something and turn them loose IMHO

Hopefully Talledaga will be better or no more "boogety boogety boogety lets go racing boys for me"

I agree totally, I found myself napping during this boring attempt at racing!
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Don't know which race you guys were watching but I personally found it a good race. Restrictor plate racing is different than any other. This year because of the new surface and differences in cars, drivers quickly found out the fastest way around the track was to hook up in twos. That was different from last year where it was longer trains. Stay out by yourself, you are a dead duck as it's always been. It was cool watching the tandums switch positions every few laps to prevent overheating. Takes a lot of skill to do that smoothly at 200 mph. For me, this year emphasized the drivers skill more than other years. I was super impressed with the rookie Trevor Bayne. He drove that car like a verteran the whole race. Very talented guy and I'm sure we are going to be seeing more from him in the future. This race had more lead changes than any other Daytona in history with drivers shifting around more then ever before. I enjoyed watching the race. For those who found this race boring, I don't even know why you are watching Nascar to begin with. Just my two cents from a long long time Nascar fan (I watch them all).
      Last edited by Mike89; 02-26-2011, 04:52 PM.
      I7 3770K @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 (2x8) Gigs Corsair DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer 236H (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Crucial M500 120 GB SSD, WD 2 TB Black HDDs, WD 1 TB Black HDD, WD 2 TB Black HDD (eSata), Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64

Comment

Originally posted by Mike89 View Post
        Don't know which race you guys were watching but I personally found it a good race. Restrictor plate racing is different than any other. This year because of the new surface and differences in cars, drivers quickly found out the fastest way around the track was to hook up in twos. That was different from last year where it was longer trains. Stay out by yourself, you are a dead duck as it's always been. It was cool watching the tandums switch positions every few laps to prevent overheating. Takes a lot of skill to do that smoothly at 200 mph. For me, this year emphasized the drivers skill more than other years. I was super impressed with the rookie Trevor Bayne. He drove that car like a verteran the whole race. Very talented guy and I'm sure we are going to be seeing more from him in the future. This race had more lead changes than any other Daytona in history with drivers shifting around more then ever before. I enjoyed watching the race. For those who found this race boring, I don't even know why you are watching Nascar to begin with. Just my two cents from a long long time Nascar fan (I watch them all).
        If this is the way every race would be I would quit watching, that was about as exciting as a chess match. I'm about tired of the Jimmie Johnson show anyway.
        Last edited by 90312; 02-26-2011, 05:05 PM.
        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

What driving skill? The driver pushing the other just needed to know how to take hand signals because he couldn't see what was in front of him. Before the repaving it did take skill to hang on to the car in those turns, now it's like a slot car race at best. I am done watching Daytona at least until the track loses alot of grip. I'm sure Talledaga and Atlanta will be much more exciting.

Comment

To say "what driving skill" at 200 mph tells me you don't know at all what you are talking about. A back seat driver, easy to talk. Like I said, if you can't find a race like that exciting, something happened to your blood flow dude. You might as well just quit watching because it's pretty apparent you are a casual race watcher at best. I'm done with this thread, I'm not going to converse with rookie know it all race fans anymore here.
            I7 3770K @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 (2x8) Gigs Corsair DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer 236H (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Crucial M500 120 GB SSD, WD 2 TB Black HDDs, WD 1 TB Black HDD, WD 2 TB Black HDD (eSata), Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64

Comment

Originally posted by Mike89 View Post
              To say "what driving skill" at 200 mph tells me you don't know at all what you are talking about. A back seat driver, easy to talk. Like I said, if you can't find a race like that exciting, something happened to your blood flow dude. You might as well just quit watching because it's pretty apparent you are a casual race watcher at best. I'm done with this thread, I'm not going to converse with rookie know it all race fans anymore here.
              Let me say it in s-l-o-w-e-r terms you may understand better, this years "driving skills" took much less than previous years. Yeah sure it takes skill and nerve to drive at 200mph anywhere, even in a straight line. All I'm saying is that kind of racing is not for me and I won't be watching that track again unless some major changes come into play.
              I'm a casual race watcher? Yeah you missed that in the first post, not been a huge fan in years. I'm a backseat driver? Well yeah but so are you, duh lol. As for you being done with this thread, good! If you can't discuss a race and how you feel about a track without getting all butthurt then trust me you won't be missed

Comment

Working...
              X