• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMD Phenom 2 6 core review

Here's my new system and I couldn't be happier:

-AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 core
    -ASUS MOBO M4A87TD
    -EVGA 01G-P3-1366-TR GeForce GTX 460 SE (Fermi)
    -Thermaltake V3 Black Edition VL80001W2Z
    -Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB
    -G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    -LITE-ON iHBS212 Blu-Ray burner

A major upgrade from my old Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz w/HT. I am running Windows 7 64-bit. I just burned my first movie that required compression and I was blown away. I was able to burn in main movie mode on the fly (not to HDD) and it was done encoding and compressing in less then 45 minutes. Similar burns before on my old system (with same burner) took anywhere from 4 to 8 hours. Haven't watched the movie yet to see the quality but I will try to comment on that later.

All 6 cores stayed pegged in 88% to 95% in task manager now that's bang for your buck. This is my first AMD system (and the last one my last Intel build). If you are on the fence about buying this CPU don't be it's worth every penny. IE loads in a blink. The build took me about 2.5 hours POST'd and worked from the first try. Or maybe go out and spend $800 more on a Pentium multi-core. I built my whole system for about $700.00.

Thuban 1090T

That is what I bought for my last build. I have been using AMD in my own builds for MANY years, but I am extremely happy with the 1090T Black. All new Asus boards for AMD use a new Turbo Core Technology that will boost 3 cores, when only 3 are needed, (which is most of the time). It is sort of like AMD's version of Intel's Turbo Boost. It has a physical switch on the new Asus boards, and is activated in Bios, with newer Bios updates on older boards.

I have been running this 1090T at 3.6 Ghz, 24-7 with absolutely no problems. 3.8 Ghz can get a bit iffy during warm weather, and I live in Arizona. I know a little about warm weather.

I'm using an older M4N72-E Asus board, because I have 16 Gigs of DDR2 memory, and was too cheap to go to the DDR3 memory at the time. Now, DDR3 is dirt cheap, and I am thinking of upgrading soon.

Comment

I think it depends on the movie you are copying. I have a AMD phenom II X6 T1100 with 16 gig of DDR3 ram and a gtx 580 video card. some movies take 3 to 4 hrs to copy and others take less than 2. I don't like to copy direct to disk because it runs your burner to death.

Comment

I have this processor but yet not installed I'm painting up the interior of my new case and the weather hasnt been to warm to do it. But I'm glad to read some positive news about the processor. My last two builds have been AMD builds. I had the Athlon X2, and the Phenom II 3.2ghz Black Edition X4 and movies when ripped only took an hour on most of them.

Current computer
        Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H
        Corsair H50 water cooler
        AMD Phemon II 3.2 Black Edition X4
        6gb of generic DDR3 1333mhz memory
        WD HDD 500gb
        PNY Verto Nvidia 210 Cuda enabled

New build will be the same motherboard, video card.
        G.skill 4gb 1600mhz memory
        Corsair H70 water cooler
        Secondary HDD WD 2TB
        Rocketfish Audio card (cause I cant afford the best)
        Lancool K-56 case.
        OCZ 700watt PSU.
        MSI 990FXA-GD65V2 AM3+.
        AMD 8 core FX-8120 3.1ghz.
        ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX cooler.
        16gb G.skill 1600mhz memory.
        OCZ Agility 120gb SSD.
        WD 2TB.
        EVGA GTX Geforce 550Ti.
        LGWH12LS38 BD-RE

Comment

Working...