Future of DVDfab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything Else Future of DVDfab

Years ago when I purchased FAB, I think ver 2 or 3, I gladly plunked down the money to guarantee my investment in DVD's. At the time they ranged from $20-30 dollars per. After My son damaged "wiz of oz" and I bought my second copy, I realized that DVDFAB at $40 was a steal.

With all that Said, I find myself buying DVD's rarely in favor for things like Netflix streaming. Even so DVD's are so cheap. Now we enter a new phase of Blu-ray and their expense warrants backing up your investment. What is next? When streaming can equal blu ray quality?

Flopguy even though streaming from netflix, etc is gaining in popularity I dont think it will phase out the DVD, and blu-ray as fast as people think, atleast in the US. I did some research for myself and found out that the US internet infrustructor can not handle really high bandwith, most providers cant handle it and would most likely charge the consumer a higher amount for it. 2 Most of the people I talked to prefer physical media. 3 I dont think Netflix, vudu or other streaming services are going to have enough space or rights to have said move on instant streaming. 4 I dont think the movie studios are going to allow it either DVD's and Blu-rays account for 3/4 of their income. The income list goes, Theater, DVD/Blu-ray sales, and then streaming services. Streaming services are the last due to they only perchase the license to rent the movie. And lets how fast are they going to get new releases on for streaming? last time I check they dont have new releases right away in the first place.
    so with all that said i will shut up.
    Last edited by unknownbluray; 04-02-2011, 03:06 PM.
    Lancool K-56 case.
    OCZ 700watt PSU.
    MSI 990FXA-GD65V2 AM3+.
    AMD 8 core FX-8120 3.1ghz.
    ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX cooler.
    16gb G.skill 1600mhz memory.
    OCZ Agility 120gb SSD.
    WD 2TB.
    EVGA GTX Geforce 550Ti.
    LGWH12LS38 BD-RE

Comment

bandwith is a limiting factor at this point, but technology will continue to expand capability. Just at tech expanded the disk we have now from VCD -> DVD -> Blu ray. Each leaping with quality. Streaming is at hd (they say), but still needs improvement.

There are other modes that could push the market too. I is becoming popular to put the movies on hard drive.

At this point new releases are important to a segment of the population. I don't think I have ever bought a new release on release day or the weeks after.
      I have not experimented with bluray, but I have HD for my camcorder. Even a small 2 minute video takes enormous cpu power. My system is no slacker either, I can rip and burn most any dvd in 8 minutes.

All I say in theoretical. I can't predict the future, but I have own Fab since Ver 2 and will continue to use fab, but at this point I am not heading for the blu-ray. My collection will remain DVD.

Comment

DVDs bacame popular at the turn of 2000 and have grown and diminished in popularity. Its a cycle, if you look back, at other forms of external entertainment, 8 tracks, laser discs,VHS, etc, they all have a cycle that lasts about 10 years or less, then something else is discovered, its a fact, I am not saying DVDs will disappear, but in the larger scheme of things, you will be telling your grandkids about DVDs like we talk about 45 RPM vinal.
        Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

update info

As we now know the info in this posting is obsolete and the streaming services are able to stream in high quality......what I would like to know is....will DVD Fab be able to back up content downloaded from my vudu account? I tend to lend DVDs out and sometimes I don't get them back. I too prefer physical media.....

Comment

bgcrew the information maybe a little out dated but is still true. The US's infrastructure still cant handle all the bandwith, and most of the wireless routers have issues. We have one of the best Ciscos out there made for video streaming, video gaming etc. However you have 1 computer plugged straight into it. Then a laptop, and 2 PS3's and the system starts to choke. As for people wanting physical media yes its nice to have netflix, vudu, cloud etc but I still hear people prefer physical video. Your paying full price for an item that could be removed, or someone could hack the system and destroy everything. What if you get sick of the movie and dont want it anymore? your stuck with it no resale. Lets face it Netflix, vudu etc is ran by Hollywood they want you to spend money on a movie that you might like, then you buy it, watch and then hate it. Cant resell it and your out 15 to 25 dollars. I'm leaving renting out of the equation. And as for streaming being HD there are issues there still. Streaming wont phase out Blu-rays but I think DVD's are on their last leg.
            Lancool K-56 case.
            OCZ 700watt PSU.
            MSI 990FXA-GD65V2 AM3+.
            OCZ Agility 120gb SSD.
            WD 2TB.
            EVGA GTX Geforce 550Ti.
            LGWH12LS38 BD-RE

Comment

im waiting for the day they sell movies on micro sd card's that are read only they already have 64gig ones out and 128 in step one to be made and sold non commercially as far as i know.

Comment

Didn't they do that with music albums once? Or at least tried and it failed. However I like the idea but do I want to buy all the dark knights, and star was again lol.
                Lancool K-56 case.
                OCZ 700watt PSU.
                MSI 990FXA-GD65V2 AM3+.
                OCZ Agility 120gb SSD.
                WD 2TB.
                EVGA GTX Geforce 550Ti.
                LGWH12LS38 BD-RE

Comment

Working...