This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice PLEASE re anti virus protection.

After some general advice and help PLEASE, it is about protection from viruses/trojans/malware etc and does relate to DVD Fab in that my current paid for McAfee protection often interferes incorrectly with DVD Fab.

It is up for renwal soon and I would like to pick your collective brains about what one is best?

I have done some research and a lot of people say the free ones are more than adequate now, like the free versions of AVAST and AVG. Others say the free Microsoft Security Essentials is good and all you need.

Any constructive advice most welcome PLEASE.

I hear AVG is good, you can get a free version of the web. My internet provider gives me a free one so I just use that. Not to keen on kasper or Nortons they deep root themselves into your registry and other parts of your pc.

Comment

Hi davidh

I use AVAST and for years I never had a problem at all.

I have also heard good things about Microsoft Security Essentials.

I used AVG years ago and was not very pleased with it, resource hog.

As far as Malware I use Malwarebytes.

Hope this helps
      CBR929
      Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Thank you both.

I didn't want to name too many names, however I did a free trial of the Norton one and didn't like that.

I have malwarebytes, someone here recommended it, PLEASE excuse my ignorance but is that always active OR only when you run a scan?

See why I am confused, different feedback already on AVG.

PLEASE keep the advice coming.

Comment

If you downloaded free version of malwarebytes then it will only protect when it scans. If you bought it then it will protect in realtime as well provided you enter license file.

I am gamer so naturally I like fast computer for my antivirus I use ESET Smart Security I find it to be pretty good and balanced.
          Last edited by Hawk; 06-12-2011, 12:23 AM.
          If you fail to plan...you plan to fail wouldn't you not agree..Think about it

Comment

Thanks again, PLEASE keep the advice coming.

Okay that is what I thought about malwarebytes, it only works for me when I run a scan.

Another point too PLEASE, on the website for Microsoft Security Essentials it says you should NEVER instal a new antivirus programme unless you first uninstal your current one.

Is this true?

Just I would not like to leave my computer on line and unprotected even for a short time?

Comment

I've used AVG Free version for literally years without a problem.
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Okay, thanks.........

So it would appear that the free ones, in general, do the job okay, just a matter of which one.

Comment

As you know, no software is ironclad when it comes to internet nasties.
                  Having said that, there are some decent freeware choices.

I've used AVG, Avira and Avast and really didn't have problems with any of them...this on a number of family pcs...XP Pro and Win7 Pro.
                  They all did a reasonable job.

I have not used MS Essentials, but it too, is a decent choice

My preference is with Avast.

I really think it comes down to personal preference.
                  Try 'em, kick the tires and take 'em for a spin.
                  They're free!
                  If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Again, thank you.

I am NOT just trying to save money, IF it is the case that I need a paid one I will renew my McAfee, however it does seem many of the free ones are as good.

Just which one?

I could do as you said and give them all a try but think it better to go with one of them IF I go with a free one.

Any other constructive input most welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by davidh View Post

I could do as you said and give them all a try but think it better to go with one of them IF I go with a free one.
                      Just which one?
                      Ok,

Avast ye mateys...Avast!!!
                      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Avast ye mateys...Avast!!!
                        So, you are saying that AVAST is the best to protect me from all the Pirates.

And make McAfee walk the plank.

Comment

So, you are saying that AVAST is the best to protect me from all the Pirates.

And make McAfee walk the plank.
                          Me being Italian, I would say that McAFee is "Sleeping with the Fishes"

CBR929
                          Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

on the website for Microsoft Security Essentials it says you should NEVER instal a new antivirus programme unless you first uninstal your current one.

Is this true?
                            Yes it is. One will detect the other and may try to isolate certain files and vice-versa and most likely will either cause some serious system problems or will leave your computer unprotected.

What is you "web surfing" habits? If you d/l torrents, install hacked/cracked software or visit risky websites in general then like maineman already said no antivirus program is 100% but if you only visit trusted sites such as this one or a well known site for the news/weather and so forth then any already mentioned will be fine. McAfee and Norton has always been problematic.
                            I use MCE and chose it since it is made by Microsoft but it doesn't mean it's better than others. I also use Malwarebytes free. I've never tried Avast but if the other guys say it's good then that's good enough for me. Also heard great things about Eset Nod. I have used AVG paid version and was happy with it but just didn't want to pay for a license any longer but I'm sure the free version is fine. I think the only difference is the free version can't be configured to auto check for updates/auto scans.

Comment

Thanks for that.

By MCE do you mean the Microsoft Security Essentials, OR something else?

IF you had of asked me some time ago I would have said mainly only very safe sites, however I do now do quite a lot of downloading of torrents. Does this mean you think I should stick with the McAfee now, or are the free ones still okay even with the torrents?

Comment

Working...
                              X