This is why I love DVD Fab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardware This is why I love DVD Fab

As the title suggests... I am encoding a blu-ray to MKV in real-time. Takes about 36 min using software/cuda for the encoding. Running about 75-85% on all 12 CPU cores!
    Attached Files
    Board: Supermicro X9DAi
    CPU: Intel Xeon 2.6 GHz (x2)
    Memory: 64 GB of Samsung DDR3 EEC Reg
    HD: (x2) Plextor M5Pro 512GB
    Video: PNY GTX 780
    Optical: Pioneer Blu-ray BDR-S09
    Sound: Creative ZxR
    PowerSupply: Supermicro 1280 Watt
    Case: Supermicro 745BTQ-R1K28B-SQ Tower

I have 3 questions for you:
    1) Did you deactivate hyper-threading? Because you have 2 hexacores so windows should recognize 24 threads not 12.
    2) How mutch those kind of pcs cost?
    3)I was wondering only out of curiosity:Xeon cpu's play games effectively like core i7 or they are only for workstation pcs ?

Thanks in advance

ps:Thanks dvdfab team and fengtao,you did very good job on v8.1.3.2.

Comment

1) Did you deactivate hyper-threading? Because you have 2 hexacores so windows should recognize 24 threads not 12.
      2) How mutch those kind of pcs cost?
      3)I was wondering only out of curiosity:Xeon cpu's play games effectively like core i7 or they are only for workstation pcs ?
      Hi LignGeorge, I deactivated hyperthreading in the bios due to most encoding software utilizing only 6-12 cores. I haven't tested this yet with DVD Fab with all 24 cores activated. I built this PC from the ground up. The processors cost around $1500.00 a piece. I play ALOT of games on this computer and they play just as good as if i was using a core i7. I can tell you this machine is an absolute monster at video encoding...

Comment

I just convert a blu-ray to mkv without cuda,with 2600k cpu in only 38 minutes.With cuda i need 32 minutes.So what's the point of intel xeon???and also of $1500???Even if you enable hyper-threading,you will not see any big different,but only some 2 or 5 minutes less...So i can't understand why someone must have an intel xeon...

Comment

I just convert a blu-ray to mkv without cuda,with 2600k cpu in only 38 minutes.With cuda i need 32 minutes.So what's the point of intel xeon???and also of $1500???Even if you enable hyper-threading,you will not see any big different,but only some 2 or 5 minutes less...So i can't understand why someone must have an intel xeon...
          You make a valid point. Are you encoding directly from the Blu-ray burner or are you first copying the Blu-ray to the hard drive, then encoding? But you are correct because most users will benefit just fine using a 2600k or equal AMD variant.

Comment

First on hard drive,and then encoding.If you try to encoding from blu drive,you will never take this time even with extreme or xeon lntel cpu's...sandy bridge 2600k it's a quad core(2*4=8 cores) monster!AMD i don't think that it could give me this time...If you play any game even with core i5 cpu's,you will never see any different with the eye...only in benchmark's...so...

Comment

Chris, I am encoding right from the blu-ray drive (which averages between 32-36 minutes). The drive is a Lite-on IHBS-212. This drive is 12x blu-ray reads and 8 mb of onboard cache (very quick). So, I would like to see how long it takes you to encode right from your blu-ray drive (in real-time). I will test copying directly to the harddrive, then encoding it. I am betting it will be very quick.

Comment

Alright, I just encoded "The Lost Boys" from the blu-ray disk to MKV in 17:43. This was directly from the Blu-ray burner to my hard drive. The disk was 24GB. I used Cuda + Software for the encoding.
                Attached Files

Comment

First i don't have this title of movie "The Lost Boys" .So,i try it with Transformers 3 bluray.The size of movie is 46 GB,my blu-ray drive have 2 MB cache and 10X read speed.So i don't have equal features with you...But for this movie with this drive(BH10LS30),in cpu only, i took 1 hour and 22 minutes with 45 FPS.With software+cuda i took again 46 FPS(I think dvdfab doesn't load correctly my Gigabyte GTX 470 nvidia card),because in older versions,dvdfab gave me 72-78 FPS with CUDA!So,with software+cuda i took 1 hour and 16 minutes in 46-47 FPS,in which case cpu load was in 35% only.So what can you see from all this?

Comment

If you want to see how my Sandy can handle a bluray movie and what's it's power,tell me a movie title which i have also,and to encoding from hard drive you and me,and also only in cpu,without cuda,and we will see if there is a big different between xeon and sandy...I have SSD Corsair F90 series disk...

Comment

Thanks for the information.

Comment

Also a last thing that you must tell me is,what's the resolution of encoding video?If i setting the resolution very low for example 128*54 i will get in a blu-ray disc of 46 GB size about 180 FPS!So,we need more information and more realtime screenshots...

Comment

I am getting 130 FPS encoding @ 1920 X 1080 using software + cuda (this was with the Lost Boys blu-ray. So I think there is a big difference speed wise between my computer and yours. Your right though... It still doesn't justify the cost of an Xeon machine. I have the money, so I chose the dual processor route because encoding is not the only thing I do with this computer.

Comment

I will copy "The Bank Job" to my harddisk and then convert it to MKV later on tonight. I will post the exact settings I used so you can duplicate it. More to follow.

Comment

Chris - How come you're not using Quick Sync?

Comment

Working...
                              X