Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cinavia-Free Dynex Blu-ray Player w/Built-in WiFi @ Best Buy - $60!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cinavia-Free Dynex Blu-ray Player w/Built-in WiFi @ Best Buy - $60!

For anyone who's interested in an extra blu-ray player for another room or just to take some wear and tear off your PS3, if you have one like I do, Best Buy has a Dynex DX-WBRDVD1 Blu-ray Player with Built-in WiFi for only $60 until January 2, 2012! It connects to Netflix easily though slower than the PS3. It also connects to Pandora. It has a USB interface in the front and an Ethernet port in the back just in case WiFi isn't fast enough. It took about 45 seconds to boot up a blu-ray disc and the user interface is pretty nice and intuitive. The picture quality on blu-ray is pretty much indistinguishable from my PS3. It's far more than I expected from a generic name brand like Dynex.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26...DVD1&cp=1&lp=1

On a side note, for those interested in backing up their blu-ray collection, this player's current firmware does NOT include Cinavia protection! The current firmware version is PKG_DVD_3_3_022_02_DYN_14_BestBuy.

I'm afraid to update the firmware which is PKG_DVD_3_3_030_RC_19_BestBuy because I'm not sure if that one contains Cinavia protection or not and I don't want to find out! It works fine now so why update it unless you have to?

Last edited by SuperFist; 12-28-2011, 03:26 PM.

Good Buy!

Thanks for the Dynex suggestion, I see my local BB has some, so I'll run up & get one since i'm about to get into HD/blueray game for first time within next month ...

On a separate thought, is it reasonable or even conceivable to suppose that future blueray movies will check your firmware & 'demand' an update before playing ??

jak

Comment

Originally posted by jakish View Post
      On a separate thought, is it reasonable or even conceivable to suppose that future blueray movies will check your firmware & 'demand' an update before playing ??
      It's quite possible since as of late Jan or Feb of 2012, ALL Blu-ray players will be required to have Cinavia. BUT it's not realistic on players like this Dynex that require you to select the option to update manually. You can always not ever update or just disconnect the player from the internet.

Comment

Cinavia On BD Players

WRT the comment below "It's quite possible since as of late Jan or Feb of 2012, ALL Blu-ray players will be required to have Cinavia" ---- Does this also mean that all BD's (not just the players) will also be required to have Cinavia protection as well? --- At the moment it seems that only Sony movies have Cinavia --- Sorry to appear a bit 'dim' but this is a bit worrying as it may well have a significant effect on NAS backup and playback --- Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by whaleshark View Post
          WRT the comment below "It's quite possible since as of late Jan or Feb of 2012, ALL Blu-ray players will be required to have Cinavia" ---- Does this also mean that all BD's (not just the players) will also be required to have Cinavia protection as well? --- At the moment it seems that only Sony movies have Cinavia --- Sorry to appear a bit 'dim' but this is a bit worrying as it may well have a significant effect on NAS backup and playback --- Thanks
          I don't see what effect having Cinavia in all blu-ray players will do unless it's also on all blu-ray movies so maybe that's what is about to happen. I have no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by whaleshark View Post
            No, studios use Cinavia on their movies only if they want to.

Comment

I actually just came from Best Buy with 2 more of these players to give to my family as gifts. You can't beat the price for the features!

Comment

Be careful, The wall street journal reported that best buy is on the verge of bankruptcy so dont buy any extended warantees they could be worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by athlon700 View Post
                  Be careful, The wall street journal reported that best buy is on the verge of bankruptcy so dont buy any extended warantees they could be worthless.
                  I never buy extended warranties on electronics purchases anyway, especially from Best Buy. All of my credit cards double 1 year manufacturer's warranties and I figure if I need to get a warranty for something to last for more than 2 years, it's not worth buying anyway.

Comment

I have confirmed that the new firmware update PKG_DVD_3_3_030_RC_19_BestBuy is still Cinavia-free!

Comment

Since the initial post, price has risen to $80. Still a good deal.

Comment

Dynex br player

This player not available here in the UK ,since Best Buy has gone Belly Up over here.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperFist View Post
                          It's quite possible since as of late Jan or Feb of 2012, ALL Blu-ray players will be required to have Cinavia. BUT it's not realistic on players like this Dynex that require you to select the option to update manually. You can always not ever update or just disconnect the player from the internet.
                          Keep in mind that the player cinavia requirement only applies to players licensed from Feb., 2012 on. There is no requirement to force cinavia onto older players. Who knows if older players are even capable of handling cinavia infection processing without screwing up playback. I know of no players that automatically update firmware - they look for it and let you know something is available. Then it is up to you. Sony players that have backed customers into a corner did that by requiring a firmware update to continue to have access to Sony portal streaming services (580 & 590 series players). Earlier player series remain clean.
                          I plan to take really good care of my Sony BDP-S1000ES's - and not update firmware unless I am certain no cinavia is included.
                          Last edited by Rich86; 08-21-2012, 12:34 AM.

Comment

What firmware comes on it now if I buy it today?

Comment

Originally posted by tommyboy714 View Post
                              What firmware comes on it now if I buy it today?
                              If nothing has changed, my updated post in this thread which lists the firmware filename. I can't be sure it hasn't changed since I mailed it to my sister to introduce her to the wonderful world of Netflix.

Comment

Working...
                              X