Dead mobo vs. dead cpu...tips/feedback appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead mobo vs. dead cpu...tips/feedback appreciated

My wife's desktop died (one of my old builds ~ 9 years old).
    This is a "non-essential" pc she uses in tandem with her company's high-end laptop.
    She is somewhat handcuffed with the lappie since she does not have administrator/proprietary rights.
    Hence, the pc, which has been sharing a kvm switch with the laptop

Anyway, I am convinced it's the motherboard, but I'm unable to rule out the cpu.

It's an Asus P5GD1 with an Intel Pentium 4 530 Prescott 3.0GHz LGA 775 Single-Core Processor.

Unable to boot into bios...no beeps at all.
    Have ruled out the psu...tested and ok.
    RAM re-seated and tested...ok
    GPU reseated and tested...ok

Changed the battery for the heck of it, CMOS jumper reset

Have gone through the cables, connections, no problems and have disconnected absolutely everything at one time or another.
    Hdds spin up.
    Everything has power including the cpu's heat sink, even the green mobo light, but there is never any sign of life in the mouse, keyboard or monitors except the geen power light (tested with 2 good monitors)

I don't have a compatible motherboard to test the cpu

I'm about out of ideas, but I can't help feeling I missed something that should be obvious.

On one hand, I'm tempted to throw $40-50 into a new motherboard, but seriously...an almost 10 year-old rig and maybe, just maybe, it's the cpu?

I can tinker together a new build for about $500 US, complete and ready to go, which includes:

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W PSU

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    She will want to wait until tax returns, which is no big deal...before dropping the 5 "Benjamins" .

So...
    Does anyone know a way to differentiate motherboard failure vs. cpu failure without taking it to a shop?
    It's just not worth that kind of aggravation and money.

Appreciate any and all feedback,
    Thanks.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Yeah.

Put mobo on wurkbench, hit with sledgehammer
    Put CPU on workbench, hit with sledgehammer.

Then you are guaranteed both are borked.

Just not worth the time/effort Maneman!!!
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

My bet is the CMOS BIOS EPROM. It's not even doing is system checks if you get no beeps at all and can't use the F2 or Esc key to access it. Just my two cents worth. Pop the CPU out and try to start it, if no difference I'll up my bet on the MOBO.
      Last edited by 90312; 03-02-2012, 09:51 PM.
      How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
      Albert Einstein

Comment

maineman
        before you follow Greg's suggestion, try to replace BIOS battery...
        sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

In the past on an older PC I used the sledgehammer test with 100% success.

Also works on suspect hard drives.

Comment

Thanks everybody.
            Yeah, I did replace the battery...easy to miss given my rambling.
            Thanks for the tip though.

I finally was able to locate the Asus cd and with nothing connected except one dvd-rom, it did spin up just one last time to give me a boot failure error...
            an indication it's in its death throes no doubt.
            Now I'm back to nothing

HAMMER TIME !!!...

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Go for it!!!!
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Hey Maineman
                I am taking a guess it is the mother board.

Have you tried taking the Ram out and trying to start to see if you get any beeps.

Also make sure that if you have a reset button on your case it is not stuck on.

CBR929
                Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Yeah, CBR, He's done that.

I think it's had the hammer treatment already !!

Comment

Yeah, thanks CB.
                    I've done all that and like I said, I "know" it's the mobo.
                    I just don't have the equip to "bench" the cpu to positively rule it out.

While I enjoy a good mystery and love to tinker...
                    even $50...it's just $ down the rat hole.

Realistically, the pc' s just about to turn 10 years old....too old...even for "the wife"...

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                      Yeah, CBR, He's done that.

I think it's had the hammer treatment already !!

So, do you think a framing hammer's ok, or should I go right for the 12 lb. sledge!...

Comment

Go big or go home!
                        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                        Albert Einstein

Comment

The sledge of course!!!

Comment

As a side note if you are going to dispose of the hard drive , use the big hammer.

A few days ago I purchased two used hard drives and found several GBs of personal information of one family on both drives.

Why purchase used drives?
                            Because they are Quantum BigFoot TS 5 1/2 inch and weigh 3 pounds each.
                            One is 6 gb and the other is 12 gb.
                            Price was $3 each.

Comment

Originally posted by Gruñón View Post
                              As a side note if you are going to dispose of the hard drive , use the big hammer.

A few days ago I purchased two used hard drives and found several GBs of personal information of one family on both drives.

Why purchase used drives?
                              Because they are Quantum BigFoot TS 5 1/2 inch and weigh 3 pounds each.
                              One is 6 gb and the other is 12 gb.
                              Price was $3 each.
                              Before you destroy the drives...take the super strong magnets out!
                              For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                              or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
                              or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                              Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

Working...
                              X