looking for new desktop computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardware looking for new desktop computer

One of my babies just went kaput after 9 years of use. It was an HP Tower 864n. Rather than spend money to have it fixed - if that is possible - I want to get a new PC to replace it. I basically used it for music anyway since I have a 6 years old HP Pavilion to do everything else

Since I'm getting this new desktop, I want it to be as powerful as possible without it costing me a fortune.

Problem is that I am getting so confused by all of what's out there that I am not sure of where to even begin looking. It goes without saying that this newer pc would have to be able to handle DVDFab well...

Can anyone who has a clue regarding all of these newer gadgets recommend what I should be looking into?

Appreciate it.

P.S.

Build it yourself

Are you looking to build this computer yourself or buy a pre-built one?

Personally I would be looking at a an

Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Socket LGA1155, 3.40Ghz for a CPU
    - has 4 physical cores and 4 logical, a true Quad core CPU
    - this cpu has Sandybridge so you can use the Quick Sync feature in DVDFab.

You'll need a Socket 1155 motherboard to install it on.
    Don't leave your self short of Ram. get at least 16GB of DDR3 1600Mhz
    Get an SSD for main drive around 120GB should be ample.
    Get the best nVidia video card you can afford.

The above will run like lightening. There is faster cpu's and sockets avai;able but they are brand new and the cost is very high.

Stay away from the cheaper AMD cpu's. The Bulldozers are only really only have 1/2 the cores they say.
    eg: AMD Bulldozer X6 FX-6100 (95W) Six Core Socket AM3+, 3.3GHz
    - This only has 3 physical cores and 3 logical cores

As far as a brand name pre-built I couldn't tell you.

Comment

The i5-2500K is almost as fast and two thirds the price, a much better deal. The SSD is going to kill your budget, 120GB isn't big enough these days, which means you'll need to buy another hard drive for storage, which are expensive right now. You didn't mention games, so you really don't need an external video card, especially when you'll have Quick Sync. 8GB's of ram is fine, 16GB's if you want to spend a little more money.

You could have a really nice computer, without spending too much money if you build it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by martythebrit View Post
        The i5-2500K is almost as fast and two thirds the price, a much better deal. The SSD is going to kill your budget, 120GB isn't big enough these days, which means you'll need to buy another hard drive for storage, which are expensive right now. You didn't mention games, so you really don't need an external video card, especially when you'll have Quick Sync. 8GB's of ram is fine, 16GB's if you want to spend a little more money.

You could have a really nice computer, without spending too much money if you build it yourself.
        I would if I knew how! Most everyone I've spoken with has told me to get one already made and make sure that it has certain features: i.e., i7, 256 SSD, 1.5 TB Hard Drive. Over 10GB RAM memory, etc.

I'm beginning to wonder whether I should have Dell or HP build one for me - or is that too costly?

P.S. As far as storage goes, I have an external HD that I haven't even taken out of the box yet. I believe it's 2 TBs. I keep most everything on other external HDs (from 200 GB to 1.5 GB) just in case...

Comment

You can choose a system at Dell then customize it, maybe that would be a better option for you.

Comment

You can choose a system at Dell then customize it, maybe that would be a better option for you.
            Thank you.

Comment

Dell Desktops

I have a Dell Studio system - Nothing fancy but I upgraded the video card to an NVIDIA 500 series and it has always worked great for me

Comment

Thanks for you help!
                I ended up paying more than I had intended to, but I added most of your recommendations to a Dell PC.

12GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs (I should have probably gotten the 16GB, but this stuff adds up...

AMD Radeon™ HD 6770

2TB Hard Drive

I already have the sound card Dell was recommending so I felt good about not having to pay extra for that. It's external so I am sure that I can use it.

Hopefully this will all work out and I won't have to be upgrading for a while.

Again, thanks for taking the time out to guide me.

Comment

Working...
                X