so-called "rental" versions of Blu Ray discs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so-called "rental" versions of Blu Ray discs

Many dvd rental stores sell off some of their stock (including my local video store), which includes these "rental" versions of Blu Ray -- thus making them retail purchases.

I prefer to make movie only backups and skip information that doesn't interest me. Apparently some of these discs have different protection schemes.

Hi FAB ulous
    Many of the DVD movies that I buy from my video rental store have movie only with out all the extras that you would get when purchasing from a retail store. Most movies I purchase they sell for $2.00 and that's a deal.
    My favorite movies I purchase retail because I want all the extras.

As far as the protection schemes I believe they are the same, but I may be wrong.
    CBR929
    Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

They may also be missing retail items.

One that comes to mind is the last Twilight which was mssing the HD audio on the rental disc.

Comment

Thanks for the Info!

Thanks for the info guys! There's a video store liquidation near me today -- think I'll go look for bargains.

Appreciate reading responses from you CBR929! Always knowledgeable and considerate.

Comment

No problem glad to help.
          Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Comment

I couldn't copy a rental I'd purchased and noticed in the volume name it said "Rental-Film-Name-whatever-it-was". I changed the volume name to just 'Film-Name-whatever-it-was" and the copy went smooth. I laughed because obviously they had some sort of check to be sure no one could rent and copy.

I also found that a lot of those rentals have enough scratches and peanut butter fingers handling them that they barely play, much less copy. Why is it that the biggest hangup scratches always occur at the most important parts of the movie?

Comment

"Murphy's Law"
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by ArniK View Post
                I also found that a lot of those rentals have enough scratches and peanut butter fingers handling them that they barely play, much less copy. Why is it that the biggest hangup scratches always occur at the most important parts of the movie?
                Hi ArniK
                I find that bock buster is notorious for scratched and dirty disc's, but if you look through enough of them you can find a decent one.
                I also remove scratches with a polisher.

I also have another rental store in my area that has a machine to buff the disc to a mirror shine.
                CBR929

Comment

Originally posted by FAB ulous View Post
                  Many dvd rental stores sell off some of their stock (including my local video store), which includes these "rental" versions of Blu Ray -- thus making them retail purchases.
                  I prefer to make movie only backups and skip information that doesn't interest me. Apparently some of these discs have different protection schemes.
                  I have seen the same thing: Rental version of the same movie that seem to have different protection scheme. They show up in retail locations like grocery stores or, as an option, from Blockbuster, you can buy it instead of returning it.

The volume name (label) is different usually having "_RENTAL" appended to the label.

Perhaps having a different label name defeats DVDFab's internet look-up mechanism. I assume DVDFab phones home to check for more than just a valid serial number.

I recently got a copy of "Fast Five" in the mail from blockbuster. Unlike most of their rentals, it was in mint condition with no blemishes. After watching, I decided to buy it, but it would not copy. It would not even get past the "Analyzing started". I tried two different bluray recorders. I checked my log against two other logs that I found on the forum and there were a lot of differences. The most obvious was the label with the "_RENTAL" name. Later, I got "Super 8" in the mail and observed the same thing. It did get past "Analyzing" but after 6 hours it had only gotten to 10%. There was not a single blemish on the bluray.

Two of the last 10 titles I got from Blockbuster were cracked on arrival. You could see marks on the packaging left by, I assume, the sorting machine the post office uses. Except for being split down the middle, the blu-rays appeared to be in mint condition. I find their DVDs to be the ones that are smudged with prints and need cleaning to play.

Comment

my opinion, it's environmental waste.

just imagine..
                    regular dvd disc version,
                    blu-ray disc version,

and these 'rental' discs, a total waste.

I just DO NOT like to I hate these 'rental' labeled discs.

Comment

Working...
                    X