Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Software Some feedback on DVDFab 9.0.6.6 Beta

Hi there,

here is just some feedback on the latest DVDFab9 beta (DVDFab 9.0.6.6 Beta). Since I only own a BluRay Ripper license I could only test the coresponding features.

I encoded two BDs (G.I. Joe 2 and Hansel & Gretel - Witchhunter) in CRF mode with MKV as target container.
    My system is an AMD Quadcore (4x3GHz) with 8GB RAM and a GeForce 650 running Windows 7.

CRF:
    ===
    CRF-encoding a factor 20 produced great visual quality in 1920x800. Files were slightly bigger than those produced by the other product with the Pineapple or x264.
    CRF values should not be fixed since even changing a value by 1 results in big size changes. Either leave the CRF value editable or use some slider / spin edit component.
    Encoding was very fast at 55 to 60 fps which equals transcoding rates I have seen from ffmpeg with x264 preset "faster".

SUP subtitles in MKV file:
    ================
    At least with Hansel & Gretel something seems to have been gone wrong since I selected german and english subtitles but VLC displayed no subtitles in the final video at all.
    I will crosscheck the source subtitles with "another other tool" if something is wrong with the M2TS source file.

Stability:
    ======
    After two successful encodings I decided to do another run for the two movies names aboved over night. In the morning I found my Windows PC sitting at the Login screen and DVDFab was gone.
    Based on the resulting video files it seemed that DVDFab died during encoding G.I. Joe 2 (which worked in the first run). It left a working MKV file which was only the first 10 minutes of the movie.

This is not the first time DVDFab 9 (Beta and Non-Beta) made my system rebooting or simply froze. I never experienced such things in DVDFab 8, which is why I still prefer to use 8.

Note that my system is not overclocked and runs rock solid (Playing demanding FPS for hours, encoding other HD stuff over night with ffmpeg and so on).

Exposure of x264 config:
    ===============
    In one of the future versions DVDFab should expose more of the internal parameters of x264. I mean stuff like presets, profile and so on.
    May be via an expert tab. Both ffmpeg and x264 have a huge feature set which helps finetuning. At least if you know what you are doing.

Adjusted autocrop values:
    ================
    I still find it strange to see non-corrected crop values like a height of 802 instead of cropping two pixels more to 800.
    It seems more logical / reliable to me to produce videos with a height which is devidable by a choosable value (e.g. 2, 4, 8, 16).
    While most playback devices have no problems with videos not devideable by lets say 8, there are often issues where hardware acceleration fails for such strange values.
    YMMV.....

HTH,
    D$

Small follow up:
    SUP subtitles worked perfectly. I do not know which issues VLC had but XBMC displayed the forced SUP subtitles perfectly.

Great enhancement.....I think I will switch to DVDFab for shrinking my BDs as soon as I finished some more BDs for testing....

Thanks....

Comment

Hi Dark$oul71:
      I need your log which DVDFab died (G.I. Joe 2 and Hansel & Gretel - Witchhunter)

Comment

I tested G.I joe, it works pretty good. Will test Hansel & Gretel later.

Comment

Hey Potti,

thanks for your reply ! Does DVDFab9 keep all logs ?
          Where do I find them ?

G.I. Joe 2 worked the second time I tried....

Comment

Potti,

ignore my last posting:
            Here are the logs....

Hopefully you will find something. It seems to me that DVDFab 8 wrote to the log as well ?

Comment

Potti,

today I found out that Hansel and Gretel had some MKV structure errors in it. For now I am back to my other trusted toolchain (AutoIt script plus x264). The results are still more reliable....but I will keep an eye on DVDFab and CRF mode for shure.

Note that I am writing this based on the tremendeous amount of BDs I have backed up over the last half year. Most of the time I ripped straight lossless to MKV and shrinked the MKV later with my script & external tools. I have had close to zero problems with the resulting MKVs. It would be great if DVDFab becomes that reliable. Especially with things like CUDA support

Thanx...
              Last edited by Dark$oul71; 09-17-2013, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X