Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do media players work; and recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Media Players How do media players work; and recommendations?

Since Cinavia is ruining my old practice of making BluRay backups to let the kids scratch I'm thinking of jumping on the media player bandwagon.

Can someone just confirm my understanding of how this will work?

1. I use BluRay Ripper to get movies onto my Windows machine.
    2. I share a folder containing those rips on my network.
    3. I buy a media player.
    4. The media player will easily be able to find and play the movies in my shared folder, at 1080p with 5.1 HD sound?

Do I need to look for anything in a media player other than the ability to play 1080p and 5.1 audio?

I don't think I need any other media player features. Heck my Vizio TVs already support Hulu, Netflix, etc.

Actually, my BD players are all Sony with those network features. Would one expect them to play ripped BDs or will they detect and enforce the Cinavia on those also?

Thanks for any guidance!

Media Players

Hi,

Here's a few answers to your queries;

1. I use BluRay Ripper to get movies onto my Windows machine.

This is basically the same as myself - However, I use the following method and it works good for me - First copy the Blu-Ray from the disk to your C or D drive - If you rip direct from the disk, it will drastically shorten your laser and BD drive life - Once copied, then rip the copy to MKV if poss as this is always good

2. I share a folder containing those rips on my network.

I have a separate Upnp 'STORA' networked drive where I store my copies and/or rips and I replay over a hard wired home network either via a 'DUNE' media player (Expensive but excellent) or an AIOS media player. The WDTV Live is also good but a little slow and clunky. I have never (ever) managed to get the hi quality copies/rips to stream properly over Wi-Fi

3. I buy a media player.

See recommendations above - DUNE/AIOS/WDTV etc

4. The media player will easily be able to find and play the movies in my shared folder, at 1080p with 5.1 HD sound?

Yes, any of the above will do all that - Depending on your budget then you can go expensive (DUNE) or much less expensive (AIOS/WDTV etc)

5. Actually, my BD players are all Sony with those network features. Would one expect them to play ripped BDs or will they detect and enforce the Cinavia on those also?

If they have the Cinavia bits, then yes, they will detect the copies and block the audio after about 20 minutes -- All(so far) media players are not infected --- I have ditched every piece of Sony equipment I ever had and never regretted it even though I was a fan for over 40 years ---

Hope this helps

Comment

Their are 3d media players also if your into this and have a 3d tv or will in the future.Micca ep600g2 is one.

Comment

You can very likely use the ripper module, turn your BR discs into MKV files, put them on an external HDD and use your BluRay player as a media player (sort of) but you said you don't need the other stuff. Cinavia does not pass through to an MKV when written to a thumb drive or an external hard drive but will if you burn it to a disc. I do this in one room and it works ok.
        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Dl xbmc
          ...Death Before Dishonor...

Comment

Working...
          X