This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portable DVD Player Recommendation ? ?

Looking for recommendation on a GOOD Portable DVD Player.

What I would like from the Forum Members is what Brand/Model has given you very good reliability and plays DVD backups.

I currently have and older Phillips PET-1002, but the battery died and I cannot locate a replacement. Plus the AC power adapter connection is somewhat defective (bump it and player shuts off, short circuit). The PET-1002 is VERY finicky on playing DVD backups and sometimes originals.

Most (95%) of my collection is -R DVD's (TYG02 or TYG03), looking for a player that will definitely play -R and +R backups !!

Thanks in Advance for any recommendations.

AX

The default Log File location: C:\Documents and Settings\"User Acct"\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

Hey AX,

I don't have one, but I did buy one for my daughter 2-3 years ago for those long bus rides from Maine to school in Nova Scotia.
    Still working just fine.
    I just called her, but she's out. As soon as I get a hold of her, I'll post back with the info.

I know it was relatively cheap...from Wally World, Target, etc...
    It'll play anything I've thrown at it, mostly +R, but some -R too.
    Some of the MIDS in order of frequency...YUDEN000 T02 (my favorite MID on the planet),
    MKM 001, MCC 004, TYG03 and MKM 003
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Personally I'd go for a media player - either a SmartPhone or something like a Wolverine or an Archos. DVD Players on the road keep skipping and you need to put your DVDs at risk of scratches. I can carry a large chunk of my library with me on a few SD cards or stream it to my BlackBerry using Orb.

Comment

I use my HTC Touch HD the same way and it has a good sized screen.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I've done a profile for the HTC in the "New Profiles" thread and with that profile, I can have at least 10 movies on the memory card.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

My thread is getting hi-jacked

Sorry guys can we get back onto Portable DVD Player recommendations ?
            AX

The default Log File location: C:\Documents and Settings\"User Acct"\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

Comment

We're not trying to hijack your thread.

We are trying to say that we feel that there are better alternatives out there that you should investigate.

Comment

Reason for Portable DVD Player
                • Already own a large DVD collection
                • Can choose between multiple sound tracks
                • Can choose between multiple subpics and the ability to turn on/off
                • Larger viewing screen, hopefully a player with a USB or memory card slot

Greg are you able to convert Blu-Ray to mobile, now that I might be interested in getting NAS up and running.

For now I'm sticking with DVD ...
                AX

Comment

AX,

No, I'm not doing ANYTHING with Blu-Ray at all as I regard the whole Blu-Ray thingy as expensive overkill at the moment.

I will NOT do anything on the Blu-Ray front until the following conditions are met:-

Hard disk storage is < $10 per Terabyte
                  Media players support the playing of Hi-Def files reliably & support NTFS drives larger than 5Tb.
                  A Blu-Ray PC Burner is below $50
                  Fab has a Blu-Ray to Mobile module that supports MKV with chapter/subtitle/multiple audio support.

I am VERY happy with the way my "DVD to Mobile" library works from my NAS's at the moment, and as MaineMan always says, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Comment

Yep I' in the same boat blu-Ray too costly for me .....

If DVD to mobile was around say 8 years ago I would probally be doing the same thing you are doing. But I cant see going to convert my DVD collection at this point.

And I really do need the ability to turn subpic's off and on. I use tit all the time when I can't understand what is being said. I mentioned this in the other thread when we were discussing this with Comp. Let me go find it and I'll but in a link.

EDIT:
                    http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=2671 (read my last two posts)

Greg THX for the info on Blu-Ray !!

Cheers
                    Last edited by AlienX69; 01-17-2010, 11:03 PM.
                    AX

Comment

I have a Toshiba SDP93S Portable DVD player. Works great.

Comment

Working...
                      X