This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple .M4V format

Hi, I am new to this forum but I've had DVDFAB for years. I'm going to sound like a schmuck but I just don't have the patience to sit here and go thru all the threads to find out if you all talked about this already, but has DVDFAB figured out a way to convert .m4v files? I bought 'The Murder of Mary Phagan' on ITunes, was able to watch it on my laptop but I'd rather watch it on my playstation 3, I can't watch it on any other device, won't let me put it on a jump drive to watch on any device. I asked about this several months ago, I'm just seeing if they've updated the software to include converting .m4v. Thank you!

i believe this would fall under the term rental. because you are only
    paying to watch the movie.

Comment

Ok, fine, it's a rental, I paid $9.99 for the movie, thought I owned it, but be that as it may, can it still be converted, has dvdfab figured out a way to convert those files yet?

Comment

Little did I know...

Ok, someone else on another thread asked, roughly, the same kind of question about .m4v format, and one of the guys in charge said something quickly about "crossing the lines", I didn't realize there were ethical concerns with about this, I thought the dvdfab software in its entirety was, kind of, on the other side of ethical, maybe i'm wrong, I hope I am.

Comment

With iTunes you can rent and purchase movies to own. For $9.99 I hope it was a purchase and not a rental.

DVDFab's software is intended to be used to make backup copies of movies you already own on DVD/Blu-ray and also to convert the physical media to a digital format to play on media players and portable devices. That being said, in my opinion, this should also apply to movies in digital format that you have purchased. Just because you bought it on iTunes doesn't mean you should be restricted to iTunes or iDevices to play them. To think otherwise would be hypocritical. DVDs are intended to be played on DVD players yet DVDFab allows you to convert them to play on just about any other device. Why shouldn't the same apply to movies that you have purchased to own (not rent) in digital format? You don't want to pirate the movies...you just want to play the movies you already own on a different device.

The DVDFab crew has their reasons for not wanting to and that is their choice. Maybe they will change their minds in the future...or, maybe not.

In the future it would be in your best interest to buy your movies on physical media and then you can use DVDFab to do whatever you want with them. I know this isn't the answer you are looking for but it is currently your best option.

Comment

Originally posted by jpdotcom23 View Post
            ... I didn't realize there were ethical concerns with about this, I thought the dvdfab software in its entirety was, kind of, on the other side of ethical, maybe i'm wrong, I hope I am.
            You might find the following useful: Observance of Copyright Laws in the DVDFab Forums!
            I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
            I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Comment

I bought this particular movie on ITunes because it's not available on dvd/Blu-ray, only on vhs, which I don't have. I want to watch it on my tv but I don't have the av adapter for my phone, that's why I was trying to convert it, so I can put it on my external drive.
              I know of their policies and rules and all that, and I expect them to say that, but come on, I'm not going into any discussion about this on here. This happens, we all know it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by jpdotcom23 View Post
                I bought this particular movie on ITunes because it's not available on dvd/Blu-ray, only on vhs, which I don't have. I want to watch it on my tv but I don't have the av adapter for my phone, that's why I was trying to convert it, so I can put it on my external drive.
                I know of their policies and rules and all that, and I expect them to say that, but come on, I'm not going into any discussion about this on here. This happens, we all know it happens.
                here - http://www.dvdempire.com/1569735/mur...the-movie.html

Comment

And here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_2&sr=8-2
                  I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
                  I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Comment

Yeah, thank you for that, know you're not posting that link to do me a favour, rather throwing it in my face type of thing cos of what I said, yes I know it's on amazon, but that copy has been out for sometime, I've seen it, it's like someone just did a piss poor job copying the movie from vhs and put it on dvd cos it has two dvd's and the vhs copy has two dvd's as well. I know I sound like an asshole talking about this software so matter-of-factly but i'm just getting frustrated. Sometimes you need to just ask and say things to get the response you need, getting tired of buying different kinds of software to do this one job. Yes, the movie is that good, that's why I'm going thru this nonsense. I'm just tired of seeing these movies on my laptop, that's all. i'm not selling any of these movies.
                    Last edited by jpdotcom23; 10-25-2015, 04:02 AM.

Comment

iTunes uses Apple Fairplay DRM and to my knowledge DVDFab does not remove it. It's not a disc protection scheme. There are 3rd party tools out there.

I'm closing this thread its run its course.
                      How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                      Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                      X