This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LCD Monitor as TV

Hey guys I have an extra Lcd Monitor that I want to turn into a t.v for my son's WII. Any ideas on the best way to go about doing it. I have read up on one of these tv tuners, but was wondering if there was an easier way to do this.

thanks in advance.

Rip

Rip what kind of connectors does the monitor have and the WII?

Comment

The WII just has an AV MULTI OUT port. It has a couple of usb ports but they are input only.

The Monitor has a DVID port, DSUB, and 2 regular usb and 1 square usb.

Comment

You shouldn't have a problem connecting a tv tuner to the monitor with the correct cable but the problem will be the WII. (scratchin' the old noggin on this one lol)
        Now that the type of ports are known someone may have a simple solution LOL

Comment

Thanks W&B. Connecting a tuner box to the monitor should be a snap. There are a couple of boxes out there that are specifically made for lcd monitors. Thanks for the help. I will wait and see if I get a bite on this one. If not I will post back if I get it to work for others in the same boat.

Thanks again rip

Comment

Hey Rip, check this out Here Now I'm not saying this will work but if it would...

Edit: ok here's a rca to d-sub/vga analog to analog so no need for convertor box
            Last edited by W&B; 02-16-2010, 02:32 PM. Reason: changed link

Comment

Okay checked out the cables at amazon. Thanks. I may have come into another problem though. I snooped around a few gamer sites and the only problem is that the rca to DVI-I is the digital signal will get lost. These type of adapters will not work on DVI-D ports. You will need something like an HD Box pro converter. HMMM! 60 + Shipping US. But I like the idea of an rca to D-Sub. The WII only pumps out an analog signal anyhow. I believe at 480s or p. Thanks for the help W&B. I am going to see if I can find something local first. I will try those cables and get back to you and post what I find with pics. LOL.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Okay I have ordered a "StarTech HD15CPNTMF 6-Inch HD15 to Component 3 RCA Breakout Cable Adapter M/F". I will have to wait a week or so for my results. If this works I will post with pics. This could be a great alternative to any grandparents that are members of this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by ripvanwinkle1819 View Post
                  Okay I have ordered a "StarTech HD15CPNTMF 6-Inch HD15 to Component 3 RCA Breakout Cable Adapter M/F". I will have to wait a week or so for my results. If this works I will post with pics. This could be a great alternative to any grandparents that are members of this forum.
                  Hope this works for you but I don't believe that this cable adapter would work. The 3 RCA jacks just provide the RGB analog video signals to RGB monitors. I looked into this a while back with the same intention of using LCD monitors with DTV converter box and/or DVD player connecting through their composite video outputs.

I found that I would need a Composite-to-VGA/DVI converter box:

Ask questions on any topic, get real answers from real people. Have a question? Ask it. Know an answer? Share it.

I didn't pursue it further as I didn't think it was cost-effective. This provides the video connection, but there's also the audio interface. Please do keep us posted as I'm highly interested in your results too.

Comment

Thanks for the info tli, I honestly don't know but after I posted that I had to leave and then I could've smacked myself in the head, even if it will work that monitor will have to have built in speakers also...oh well no big loss if it doesn't work I suppose lol

Comment

Originally posted by W&B View Post
                      ... then I could've smacked myself in the head, even if it will work that monitor will have to have built in speakers also...
                      Yes, I did the same--focused on the video portion at first, and then smacked myself on the head when the audio consideration came to mind.

I actually ended up pulling out of storage from the attic my very first color 14" RGB monitor from the early '80s and used that with a DTV converter box. It was a Magnavox monitor, with dual color and green monochrome display modes, that had a built-in internal speaker. The monitor had the old standard TTL RGB video interface along with extra RCA composite video and audio inputs. Plugged in the DTV converter box, and the picture is still sharp and accurate. The monitor got recycled for a second life now.

Comment

Yeah me too. But I smacked myself in the head around the first post. The monitor has an audio out feature on it. If I am not mistaken there are two ways to do this. The rca connection from the Wii should have a left and right and a video plug. I am going to connect the audio part of the cable into a seperate unit. Or try this audio out with the monitor. I have an old set of pc speakers that might do the trick. Not sure but I will keep you updated. It will probably take a week to get the cables delivered. So no move until then unfortunately.

Comment

Okay latest update. I have just recieved adapter cable. I will try it out at let you know. With pics to show set up.

Comment

okay back to drawing board. Next step I have ordered a wii component cable. This should give me the audio output I need and the 3 inputs for the analog signal. Will keep those who were interested posted.

Comment

Sorry that didn't work rip, hope the next one does...

Comment

Working...
                              X