Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replaced Lite-On with new LG & bios 1.03: problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replaced Lite-On with new LG & bios 1.03: problem?

My old Lite-On iHBD112 of about 2010 can no longer burn DL bluray disks so I got a $50 special and it was LG WS16NS40. It has bios 1.03 and I was reading here there is a problem with AACS 2.0 copy protection. I do not know what that is, it seems be be related to UHD discs which I do not have nor intend to buy. I had a problem reading a disc but my other LG, exact same model supposedly, but with bios 1.02, had the same problem so I assume it is the disk and not the device.

Was wondering if I should attempt to downgrade the bios to 1.02 or just leave it at 1.03. It appears it will not be easy to downgrade as LG's factory program will not allow a downgrade. I have only had it a few days and was wondering if anyone has had problems or can make a recommendation as I could return it to Newegg.

Have you tried multiple disks? If it cant read any BD's then of course it is likely a drive issue. I have read about various issues with this drive on several sites. I guess its a hit or miss. If you will NOT be doing UHD, I would recommend a look at the LG WH14NS40 drive. It will also do BDXL and M-Disc but not read UHD. It is available form Amazon (sold and shipped by Amazon) for around $50. I purchase three of these drives early part of last year and have them installed in three different PCs and they all work fine. If you do get this drive, hopefully it will have a service code sticker that reads SVC Code: NS50 (all three of mine did) . Although it is an older model drive, there was a firmware update (1.03 … but obviously not the same 1.03 as for the 16x model) from LG early this year so it is still seems to be supported.

Comment

Working...
    X