This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by davecuk View Post
    I worked it out and it's cheaper now to buy 2TB external hard drives and keep everything on those rather than burn DVDs.
    Even cheaper to buy 2Tb Internal hard drives and external enclosures to put them in.

Comment

Verbatim DVD+R 100 pack MCC-004

Originally posted by CBR929 View Post
      DVD+R at Newegg great price hurry it ends tomorrow http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817507003
      Thanks CBR929!! It's great to finally be on the forum!! Have been using DVDFab and watching threads for two years now. Just happy to contribute in a small way.

They still have a great deal on the Verbatim DVD+R 100 disc's with free shipping. $23.99. Got mine in 2 days from Ontario, CA to PA!!!
      These are the MCC-004 which work great!

Was purchasing these from Sam's Club at 29.00+ prior to this and they suddenly stop carrying them. Thought I would never beat that deal.

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
        Even cheaper to buy 2Tb Internal hard drives and external enclosures to put them in.
        Err no....I paid £74.99 for a 2TB Hitachi simple drive external drive including USB cable and free delivery, aluminium heatsink and fanless. Bought it just after New Year before the price rises. I particularly like these drives/enclosures and have a few of them. They are almost totally silent and power down when not in use.

External Desktop Hard Drives available from Ebuyer at great prices. We stock desktop drives from many of the leading brands. Order today for fast delivery!

Of course they are now £98....so I think I did rather well.

I just need to find a cheap Blu Ray reader now, been looking at the 8x samsung for 50 quid?

Comment

I agree it's cheaper but the only drawback is if you have a hdd failure (very rare I know) in which case you lose all those backups at once. Thread has gone off track from media deals to comparing the pros and cons.

Comment

Originally posted by W&B View Post
            I agree it's cheaper but the only drawback is if you have a hdd failure (very rare I know) in which case you lose all those backups at once. Thread has gone off track from media deals to comparing the pros and cons.
            Hopefully the mods can split the thread into a new subject under Media Players advantages etc... I again agree with you about HDD failure, however a few things spring to mind.

1. It's only a backup, so the originals will still be available.

2. The data can be stored on 2 drives as I am only comparing the price against cheap (single layer) non archival media, if you want good reliable media (TY etc.) or DL disks, then it's as cheap to put on 2 HDD drives

3. HDD space is going to get cheaper and cheaper

4. Dual layer media is not as cheap as single layer, so we used to compress. Compression no longer required, not even that little bit which is time consuming and impacts on quality in greater proportion than the % compression used.

A lot of DVDs simply are a PITA to store, look thru and manage. With the Sumvision able to handle 8 live drives, it should meet my media needs for a very ling time and all backup drives are simply stored.

Comment

As most of you know, I've been an advocate of media players and their storage capabilities for years.

Cost is now minimal as Dave pointed out, there are no compression or burning problems whatsoever and all the titles are available to you immediately (except if you store them like Maineman !!! ) and if you set up your network & media player mix correctly, the central library is available on a number of TV's throughout the house.

If you do not have a backup strategy for a large media library though, you have rocks in your head.

With the price of drives these days, again the cost is minimal and it takes me only 3 hours to clone a 2Tb drive when the drives are plugged into internal/external SATA trays in my desktop.

It's a hell of lot easier than copying 1500 DVD's again !!!
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                As most of you know, I've been an advocate of media players and their storage capabilities for years.

Cost is now minimal as Dave pointed out, there are no compression or burning problems whatsoever and all the titles are available to you immediately (except if you store them like Maineman !!! ) and if you set up your network & media player mix correctly, the central library is available on a number of TV's throughout the house.

If you do not have a backup strategy for a large media library though, you have rocks in your head.

With the price of drives these days, again the cost is minimal and it takes me only 3 hours to clone a 2Tb drive when the drives are plugged into internal/external SATA trays in my desktop.

It's a hell of lot easier than copying 1500 DVD's again !!!
                Like I said I agree it's cheaper and my comment was more intended as a reminder that even hdd's need to be backed up for that rare exception.

For the record I still do both, backup to disc just in case I damage my original and the few times a year I travel I can grab a DVD storage case and portable player. (yeah I could take my hdd and media player but it's not easy to get to the wires to disconnect)
                I also convert all my movies to mkv.h264.audiocopy and store on hdd all because of you Gregiboy and your recommendations.

So your saying Maineman has rocks in his head, maybe he'll change his login to Rockhead? LMAO!! (I'm just playin' Maineman, you've forgotten more than I'll ever know about this hobby and that just sounds wrong but not meant to be an insult to you LOL)

Comment

Originally posted by davecuk View Post
                  Hopefully the mods can split the thread into a new subject under Media Players advantages etc... I again agree with you about HDD failure, however a few things spring to mind.

1. It's only a backup, so the originals will still be available.

2. The data can be stored on 2 drives as I am only comparing the price against cheap (single layer) non archival media, if you want good reliable media (TY etc.) or DL disks, then it's as cheap to put on 2 HDD drives

3. HDD space is going to get cheaper and cheaper

4. Dual layer media is not as cheap as single layer, so we used to compress. Compression no longer required, not even that little bit which is time consuming and impacts on quality in greater proportion than the % compression used.

A lot of DVDs simply are a PITA to store, look thru and manage. With the Sumvision able to handle 8 live drives, it should meet my media needs for a very ling time and all backup drives are simply stored.
                  Sorry, didn't see your post before I replied to Greg's. What I meant as far as a drawback was if you have an hdd failure, you lost $80-$90 for a 2TB drive (NewEgg U.S.) at once but if you scratch, drop or simply lose a disc you only lost only $0.25-$0.50 (U.S.)
                  No argument on storing DVD's vs. HDD's, you're right and they will get cheaper.

Comment

Found some Verbatim DVD-R that have Taiyo Yuden TYG03 Media Code http://www.blankmedia.ca/DVDR-16X-VE...-Prodview.html $18.95 for a 50 disc spindle

Comment

I noticed that Newegg is now indicating which of the Verbs have the AZO dye. I guess the word is out and sales have dropped huh?
                      How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                      Albert Einstein

Comment

10 BD-R disks $9 shipped - Optical Quantum

Originally posted by ripvanwinkle1819 View Post
                        Started this thread for the following reasons:

1. This thread is for both DVD and BLURAY.

2. Post any or all prices you pay for your blank media.

3. Attach any links to websites you use to purchase media.

4. Post any reviews on any new blank media you use.

5. MOST OF ALL PLEASE ADHERE TO FORUM RULES.

Thanks in advance.

Administrator's Note: Use this thread for its intended purpose. Do not post software related problems/questions here, they will be deleted.

Optical Quantum 10 pack BD-R for $9
                        Supermediastore has the Blu-ray 4X 25GB BD-R Media (Logo Top) 10 Pack in Cake Box for only $8.99 with shipping free.

I have used these disks in in my BD burner and they burn great. I have had better luck with these than some of the name brand disks. I believe that Phillips makes these and that they are the same as Kodak Brand Disks other than these have a silver finish and the Kodaks have a white inkjet printable finish.

I know that another store had these a buck cheaper a short time ago, but this was the cheapest I could find today. These normally sell for about $12 or more per 10 Pack, and are currently $12 at Amazon.

The Optical Quantum Blu-ray Disc series is on the cutting edge of technology using a blue-violet laser to record either high-definition (HD) video or high capacity gigabyte data files. Using Optical Quantum's exclusive FMS (Flexible Manufacturing System) and sophisticated production know-how brings next generation products like recordable Blu-ray discs to market in the shortest time frame with reasonable pricing. Viewers will especially enjoy High-Definition video programming using the Optical Quantum Blu-ray Disc series.

Features

•ManufacturerPTICAL QUANTUM
                        •Mfg Par NoQVBDR04LT-10
                        •Type: BD-R
                        •Capacity:25GB
                        •Speed: 1x - 4x
                        *This media can record up to 8x speed in certain 8x or higher speed Blu-ray burners, please refer compatibility list for more info.

Compatibility List:

Burner Brand (speed) Model Firmware Max. Burning Speed
                        LG (6x) GGW-H20L YL05 4x
                        LG (8x) BH08NS20 1.00 8x
                        LG (10x) WH10LS30K 1.00 8x
                        PANASONIC (2x) SW-5582 - 2x
                        PANASONIC (4x) SW-5583 1049 4x
                        PANASONIC (8x) SW-5584 - 4x
                        PHILIPS & LITE-ON (4x) DH-4B1S 7112 4x
                        PIONEER (4x) BDR-202 1.08 4x
                        PIONEER (8x) BDR-203 1.05 8x
                        PIONEER (12x) BDR-205 1.03 10x
                        SONY (2x) BWU100S - 2x
                        SONY (4x) BWU200S - 4x
                        SONY (8x) BWU300S - 4x

Comment

I just got a 100 pack of Sony DVD-R 1-16x for $17.49 at Costco on sale (less tax). These seem pretty good to me. Also, at eBay by seller joyzcom, I bought a 100 pack of Rhino BD-R 4X 25GB FOR $116 with shipping. I think these are good as well and made by a very large Taiwan company.

It's really amazing, I remember when the first Pioneer burner came out many years ago and they wanted something like a $100 for 1 DVD blank. Before DVD recording was really known like it is today. Prices keep falling.

Comment

my best deal is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-025-_-Product

out of probally at least 60 burns maybe 4 bad ones. great deal to 25 for 20 bucks. i used to buy the 10 pk for 9.49 on ebay nut just found this deal.
                            Amd 64 X2 Dual core processor 6000+ 3.09Ghz
                            Geforce 9800Gt 512mb
                            3gb ram
                            Win Xp
                            600W power supply

Comment

Verb's

At my local FRY'S Electronics! I found VERB's 4.7G, 16x, 120min's, dvd-r, 100 pack with "AZO" dye label, for just $19.95! The label said made in INDIA, Would these still be the good ones, just as long as the "AZO" label is on it?, instead of made in "Taiwan"?

Comment

One can assume from the “AZO” label that the dye was made by The Mitsubishi Chemical Company, the parent company of Verbatim, and made the quality of the Verbatim brand what it is today. How it is applied and other manufacturing details are another thing entirely. Tell us how you make out with them.
                                How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                                Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X