This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

confused

I'm considering buying the necessary hardware/software to get started in Bluray, any suggestions welcome. In reading the Bluray tutorial it says "no compression" available at this time and the tutorial screen uses a BD50 as an example. In looking at the Q&A here it appears compression is included and the use of BD25 seems prevalent. What's the story? I'm using 7.0.4.0. I guess I need to update.

Yeah the reason that you are not able to compress is most likely that you are using the DVDFab HD Decryptor which is the free version of DVDFab and it will not compress. If you want the added functionality of compression (plus other goodies) you gotta pony up for the software. If you have paid for it already and you're not able to compress, then I would check to make sure that your license has been inserted correctly and everything is functional. Click the little '?' in Fab and click the "About" button. That will tell you your subscription info.
    SPECS
    DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
    SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

DVDFab version 7.0.4.0 does not compress Blu-ray Fulldisc but only compress main movie. Also that version is way outdated and I suggest that you update to the latest released version located here http://www.dvdfab.com/download.htm which was released May 30, 2010

Comment

First, I am NOT using the free version. Second, the reason I'm asking about Blueray is because I haven't bought the necessary equipment/media yet which is what I said in my original post. Suggestions are still welcome. Third, I apologize for having dated software. I don't use it on a daily basis and it doesn't tell me it's dated even though I have the appropriate box checked in preferences. Now, if anybody has any constructive suggestions I'm all ears, but please do me the courtesy of reading what I write first.

Comment

Originally posted by ram1009 View Post
          First, I am NOT using the free version. Second, the reason I'm asking about Blueray is because I haven't bought the necessary equipment/media yet which is what I said in my original post. Suggestions are still welcome. Third, I apologize for having dated software. I don't use it on a daily basis and it doesn't tell me it's dated even though I have the appropriate box checked in preferences. Now, if anybody has any constructive suggestions I'm all ears, but please do me the courtesy of reading what I write first.
          Well in post #3 I already said you need the latest update for compression but if you want suggestions for the hardware/software to get then I would suggest that you post your computer specs so we know what type of computer you have and what will need to be upgraded. I can tell you that LG Bluray drives are pretty good as that what I have but just a reader and not a burner as hard drives are cheaper than the Blu-ray blank media at the moment

Comment

You shouldn't have any problems compressing BR with the latest version 7067.
            I have just started to dabble with BR myself so I apologize for the less than specific answers. I don't recall exactly which version allowed for full disc compression.

To be honest, I've never bothered with Full Disc...I've just compressed the main movie.
            I've compressed to BD 25, to BD 9 without problems and to various BR to Mobile profiles.

So far the only problem I've encountered is a progressive fps degradation with BD to Mobile...much more pronounced with 2-pass. It degrades with 1-pass, but it's tolerable and I get decent results.

If you like I can compress Avatar full disc to confirm first hand, full disc compression, but from what I read you should be all set.

//Edit
            Hey AGJ, I got sidetracked, came back and posted without looking...didn't spot you in time
            Last edited by maineman; 06-01-2010, 02:52 PM.
            If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
              Well in post #3 I already said you need the latest update for compression but if you want suggestions for the hardware/software to get then I would suggest that you post your computer specs so we know what type of computer you have and what will need to be upgraded. I can tell you that LG Bluray drives are pretty good as that what I have but just a reader and not a burner as hard drives are cheaper than the Blu-ray blank media at the moment
              Of course I will update my software whether or not I decide to enter the Blueray fray. My buying decisions seem to be limited to which of three burners to buy and whether to buy the most expensive disks or the economy versions. Newegg offers the LG, Pioneer & Plextor all in my price range. I'm wondering if the software offered with the Plextor & Pioneer justify the extra expense or if there is good freeware available. BTW, I have seen Maxell BD-25 advertised at Fry's for $20 for 15 disks. Doesn't seem excessive to me if they work. I did consider using HDDs for storage however as yet I'm unable to display such movies on my TV. Again, all suggestions are welcome.

Comment

Ram, I don't know if this will help your cause?

Try using BD Advisor.

...this will let you know what part of your PC system is Bluray ready.

This may not even be what your looking for? if so, please disregard. But maybe will be helpful for anyone else that might want to see if their PC is up to par for Bluray.

Comment

Not to steer you away from any options, but I found the following to work well for me, particularly when you can purchase a 1 TB hdd for about $60-70 when on sale and get free shipping too.

I picked up an Argosy HV335T 3.5-Inch HDD 1080P HDMI Mobile Video Media Player a few months back and found it'll play anything.
                  It cost me $89
                  Installed a 1 TB hdd and I'm now enjoying 100's of converted flicks, standard dvd compressed to about 1 GB with outstanding video quality...courtesy of GregiBoy's customized samsung tv profile.

I also have about 10 BD files onboard, assorted formats...main movie, non-compressed, compressed and various BD to Mobile formats.
                  This unit plays them all via HDMI ---> TV with outstanding results.
                  No navigation issues, all nicely alphabetized without me having to do anything.
                  This unit also has a usb input so you can connect additional ext hdds or ultimately, a server. My plan for the not-too-distant-future

//Edit
                  Forgot to mention, I picked up a LiteOn BD-ROM for about $55...works great...no expensive burner and BD media needed
                  Last edited by maineman; 06-01-2010, 04:09 PM. Reason: additional comments
                  If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Ahhhh.....

Maineman, it looks like I have another convert convinced to the viability of media players rather than burning disks!!!
                    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                      Ahhhh.....

Maineman, it looks like I have another convert convinced to the viability of media players rather than burning disks!!!
                      Id have to agree with maineman. I dont have the media player he's referring to but I have a pch and the converted files play nice and harddrives are a lot cheaper than bluray disk plus you dont have to worry about making coasters I believe at the moment bestbuy is selling a 2tb harddrive for $119. Until bd-r's go down in price this would be a good alterative.

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
                        Not to steer you away from any options, but I found the following to work well for me, particularly when you can purchase a 1 TB hdd for about $60-70 when on sale and get free shipping too.

I picked up an Argosy HV335T 3.5-Inch HDD 1080P HDMI Mobile Video Media Player a few months back and found it'll play anything.
                        It cost me $89
                        Installed a 1 TB hdd and I'm now enjoying 100's of converted flicks, standard dvd compressed to about 1 GB with outstanding video quality...courtesy of GregiBoy's customized samsung tv profile.

I also have about 10 BD files onboard, assorted formats...main movie, non-compressed, compressed and various BD to Mobile formats.
                        This unit plays them all via HDMI ---> TV with outstanding results.
                        No navigation issues, all nicely alphabetized without me having to do anything.
                        This unit also has a usb input so you can connect additional ext hdds or ultimately, a server. My plan for the not-too-distant-future

//Edit
                        Forgot to mention, I picked up a LiteOn BD-ROM for about $55...works great...no expensive burner and BD media needed

This sounds like something I might want to do in addition to burning disks,however I like the portability disks allow. Besides it doesn't really pencil out. At $70 per 1000GB, 1GB= $.14. At $.14 per GB a BD-25 would cost $3.50. I'm sure we've all seen BD-25s for significantly less than that so where is the benefit? Why not keep your files on disk and be able to move them from computer to set top box easily? The only down side is investing in a burner which I believe will pay for itself almost immediately with the high cost of Blueray movies. I'm still wondering if there's any freeware Blueray playback software.

Comment

I disagree here.

Firstly, your maths are wrong. Cost =$0.07 per Gb so comparative cost vs BR25 is $1.75.

Other points.

Your TOTAL media library is available at all times, no changing disks or disks getting damaged by coffee/kids. Just the press of a button.

Besides having to buy a burner, you also have to buy a BR set top unit.

These players are so cheap these days you can have one attached to every TV in the house (I currently have 7 attached and it varies between 5-10) and you can actually get them as small as a pack of cigarettes and just plug in a portable hard disk wherever you want to watch.

I have gone another route where I have all my media on Network Attached Storage and can access the library from any player in the house.
                          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                            I disagree here.

Firstly, your maths are wrong. Cost =$0.07 per Gb so comparative cost vs BR25 is $1.75.

Other points.

Your TOTAL media library is available at all times, no changing disks or disks getting damaged by coffee/kids. Just the press of a button.

Besides having to buy a burner, you also have to buy a BR set top unit.

These players are so cheap these days you can have one attached to every TV in the house (I currently have 7 attached and it varies between 5-10) and you can actually get them as small as a pack of cigarettes and just plug in a portable hard disk wherever you want to watch.

I have gone another route where I have all my media on Network Attached Storage and can access the library from any player in the house.
                            Thanks for correcting my math. I transposed the numbers. However your corrected math only makes it a stalemate at best if cost is the issue. If it isn't then the relative costs of HDDs should never have been raised. The other factors you mention are a matter of personal preference which I will not criticize. BTW, I drink one cup of coffee a day and have no kids so neither are a factor for me. Don't get me wrong, I think your idea is great, it's just not as economically superior as was suggested especially since I don't have 5-10 TVs. I'm afraid I'd have to leave the house if I had your situation. Also, the issue of data loss has not been considered. Movies are unquestionably long time storage and as such are safer on disk.

Comment

I never said that I had 10 TV's. I have multiple players connected to each of 3 TV's in the house for usually testing purposes as my business imports players from China to Australia.

There is a couple of other things that can also be factored in.....

The time taken to actually burn the disks
                              The fact that over time, the dye on the disks may deteriorate so backup of data is vital in both cases.

Comment

Working...
                              X