This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony PS3 owners beware

It seems after a firmware update some PS3 systems are being affected. Some users are losing game playability and I personally can't play my BD-RE disc of movies I backed up to test with. I think its affecting some models and not others so update your system at your own risk. I have not read anything Official from Sony about this problem MANY people seem to be happening.

thanks....

Comment

You're welcome. when I first bought my PS3 and went to d/l the very first firmware update, it finished and never could get a picture out of it again. luckily I bought it at gamestop and they gave me a 30 day exchange policy. I get scared everytime I update now.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild and Blue View Post
        You're welcome. when I first bought my PS3 and went to d/l the very first firmware update, it finished and never could get a picture out of it again. luckily I bought it at gamestop and they gave me a 30 day exchange policy. I get scared everytime I update now.
        Can you get the old firmware back to reinstall ? don't have a PS3 myself so not sure if you save the updates or not, if not could you request it from Sony.

Comment

I'm not exactly sure if one can roll back the firmware, I did see that same question asked in the PS3 forum and seen one poster had suggested a fix but even it had mixed results. the PS3 has a option within the xmb under settings to return it to the original state just like the day it was purchased but thats where some claimed success and others still fail. So I honestly can't say for sure.
          Replying to your suggestion in the other thread so it doesn't appear I was thread-jacking the original poster, I did a full erase on both disc twice and each time came up with that error but both playback fine on my computer and only the one disc works on the PS3. Thanks to Driggle and You I would never have thought to change from the default writable media size and after I seen that I found a online converter (because I'm terrible at math) and according to the default file size in Fab, it did what it was told but its set up to fail. My BD25gb disc has 22.5gb of total free space (as reported by windows), then adjusting the settings to be within the limits of my disc, complete success! (Thanks Driggle!!)
          So thats also why I asked in the new beta thread what the recommended settings were, does a blank BD-R have more free space than a BD-RE? I wouldn't think so, so that just kind of puzzled me.....

Comment

Originally posted by Wild and Blue View Post
            I'm not exactly sure if one can roll back the firmware, I did see that same question asked in the PS3 forum and seen one poster had suggested a fix but even it had mixed results. the PS3 has a option within the xmb under settings to return it to the original state just like the day it was purchased but thats where some claimed success and others still fail. So I honestly can't say for sure.
            Replying to your suggestion in the other thread so it doesn't appear I was thread-jacking the original poster, I did a full erase on both disc twice and each time came up with that error but both playback fine on my computer and only the one disc works on the PS3. Thanks to Driggle and You I would never have thought to change from the default writable media size and after I seen that I found a online converter (because I'm terrible at math) and according to the default file size in Fab, it did what it was told but its set up to fail. My BD25gb disc has 22.5gb of total free space (as reported by windows), then adjusting the settings to be within the limits of my disc, complete success! (Thanks Driggle!!)
            So thats also why I asked in the new beta thread what the recommended settings were, does a blank BD-R have more free space than a BD-RE? I wouldn't think so, so that just kind of puzzled me.....
            hey WildandBlue,
            That's really odd about the ImgBurn error message, maybe go to the ImgBurn forum and ask about it, if your curious that is.
            as for size of disc's, yes they are the same size, however when burning to a disc your file size has to a wee bit smaller than the blank space on the disc, say for a 25 gig, 24.7 is about the max file size it will burn, other wise you are writing right to the margin, then you start to get problems.

Comment

yeah it is strange, I think it was actually related to some software I had installed but not tested at the time. Can't say I'm 100% positive but Daemon tools seemed to be the culprit since I uninstalled it and a device driver SPTD no more errors. Its removal also allowed Fab to detect my blank media before starting the write process. Even using ImgBurn as a standalone it would detect and report the SPTD driver was detrimental to drive performance. Anyway I'm back up and running error free, Thanks for the suggestions. Still no luck with that one particular disc though, could just be a "disc gone bad" or firmware related not really sure either way but here's a link to the PS3 forum where all those reports of problems if anyone else is curious and is having problems or needs to update their system, read and decide for yourselves. http://boardsus.playstation.com/play....id=ps3updates

Comment

Good, glad to hear no more error's

Comment

Working...
                X