This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solid State Drive

There were a lot of rumors, reviews, opinions and experience sharing in relation to Solid State Drives.
    Well, I decided to go ahead and experiment with my new laptop that I've got recently (see my post here: http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.p...0817#post40817 )
    After few implications and talking with my family members, I've got my birthday present this morning, arrived with FedEx in newegg.com box Yep, that was 160 Gig Intel SSD. It was inside of my laptop before FedEx guy left the neighborhood.
    Well, there is an obvious impact on the system. It took about 3 sec to get to Windows Welcome page, and about 3 more from there. Unbelievable. I think it will pose some challenges though... Remember how you getting to a BIOS? You have to be really quick with SSD.!!!!

You may ask if there any impact on DVDFab performance? The answer is yes. SSD gave my an extra 9 fps processing speed gain. Is it worth??? That's for you to decide. Look at the price and.... oh well, its really impressive though
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

That interesting to know. I didn't know drive access speed affected compression time, just ISO creation in ImgBurn i.e. I get 3.5x when creating to my USB drive and 7.5-10x when creating to my SATA drive. Maybe when the price drops on those a little more I'll give one a whirl. Is solid state based on the tech as flash memory(SD, CF)?

Comment

Thanks for the bump on this week old thread as I have been trying to decide about getting either 2 raptors or a SSD and now I know I will get a SSD but that not for a year. Hopefully the price for the 240gb corsair come down in price as they are $699.99 in Canada at the moment and if they was half that in a year then I can get 2

Comment

AGJ: If I were you man I would go the same route I am which is getting the new SATA 6 gbps Crucial SSD (either 128 or 256 gb). I bought an Asus U3S6 add on card which goes into a PCI express x4, x8, or x16 slot and gives you 2 external USB 3.0 ports and 2 internal SATA 6 ports and its only about 40 bucks. And those are pretty darn quick, something like 355 MB/s read and 215 MB/s write on SATA 6 and 265 MB/s read and 215 MB/s write on SATA 3. I waited a little bit to get one to make sure there were no bugs or issues with them but as far as reviews go there isn't.
        SPECS
        DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
        SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

the hybrid solution may be also intresting (SSD speed in access times & plenty of traditional HDD space) and much cheaper: Seagate Momentus XT Solid State Hybrid Drives
          The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder (Alfred Hitchcock)

Comment

what does 9fps equate to in your times to compress?

my 2 raptors in raid 0 on q6600 with a 9800gtx does most in 1:25 min

would an ssd drive drop that time?

Comment

just got my hands on a gtx295. lets see if my compression time drops!

Comment

Working...
              X