Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some suggestions on dynamic range control.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some suggestions on dynamic range control.

Okay so I have two surround sound systems(not in the same room) and the dynamic range control is lacking to say the least. Which creates problems when we put a movie in for when we go to bed,take a nap, or watch a movie while the lady is asleep. My lady likes the speakers close to her so we dont have to have it loud to get the sound across the room but in order to hear some dialog in scenes we have to turn it up. THEN BAM! Thats why if you have seen some of my post you see that subtitles are really important to me. I really don't need surround sound when I'm just trying to fall asleep. I seem to remember some box that help commercials with the volume problems years ago. At this point i dont care if I have to hook my bluray player audio to a analog box that does the DRC then to the surround sound(remember my lady likes the speakers close) to get this dynamic range craziness in movies under control. I dont care if the signal becomes analog I can still run it into the surround sound just in stereo. SO if anyone has any suggestions or seen a box that does just this. Please let me know give me a link or a place to buy. I have tried out alot of surround sound units and the only ones with good dynamic range is the ones that are way to rich for my blood. Talking like close to 500 just for the head unit or more. So yea my price range is like 100 to 200 max. Even if you have suggestion on modding my equipment for this. Like putting a in a circuit board or whatever in the speakers themselves. I can do those kinda things too. I just need a little guidance.

Thank you for your time. I know this was long. Just try to be specific on some things.

Cheers!

Wished I could help but the Sound Dynamics speakers I have do not have that problem. Could it be how you have all your speakers set up for sound? On the cheap amplifier I have I have the ability to raise or lower the volume for Front, Center, Rear and Sub-woofer and normally it usually the Rear and Center speakers that should pay close attention to and set up for loudness for how you need. The front and Sub-woofer do not really have the talking as they mainly for all the loud noise explosions and stuff

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I did try the volume settings for each speaker to see if it could help. All that did is lower or raise the volume. The problem is lets say a movie like Daybreakers at the beginning theres some narration then a flash to some vamps in the subway growling at each other. The narration is not very loud lets say I have my volume at 25. The growling comes in and it feels like I am at 40. The db jump is just crazy. It seems like all movies are made like this anymore. I wish that my system could make the growling example feel more like a 27. I hate reaching for the volume all the time while laying in bed. LOL By the way what amp you got and do they still sale it?
      Anyway ty again for the quick response and the advice.

Cheers

Comment

I use a cheap JVC at the moment as where I live I can not use my Denon as it too loud even when the volume is on 4. I hope you find out what you need to do and if I think of something I will post it here for you.

Comment

Working...
        X