X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's up with Taiyo Yuden and JVC

Originally posted by maineman View Post
    I meant to add for the OP and anyone else interested...
    Taiyo Yuden also uses
    "archival quality AZO metal dye".

Here's a link (for those of us in the U.S.) to my favorite DVD media on the planet...YUDEN00T02
    (also the best...JMO)

http://www.meritline.com/taiyo-yuden...source=fgmedia
    maineman: So did JVC buy out Taiyo Yuden or is it some form of partnership? And do you think we will see a decrease in Yuden quality from this?
    SPECS
    DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
    SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Originally posted by Racem22 View Post
    maineman: So did JVC buy out Taiyo Yuden or is it some form of partnership? And do you think we will see a decrease in Yuden quality from this?
    Actually, despite what is posted on some sites, it's the other way around.
    Taiyo Yuden opted to sell under the JVC brand, initially to acquire better market share, particularly in Europe.

Regardless, not to worry...
    Same factories, still made in Japan.

FYI:

"Microboards' flagship line of DVD and CD recordable media, manufactured by Taiyo Yuden, will now be sold under the name of JVC.

Chanhassen, MN April 15, 2009 -- Microboards' flagship line of DVD and CD recordable media, manufactured by Taiyo Yuden, will now be sold under the name of JVC.

Taiyo Yuden, known in the professional market for having the widest playback and recording compatibility and the lowest error rate of any optical media available, announced the change in March. Microboards Technology, which serves as the primary distributor for the United States and Canada, will continue to offer the same products, but with the new branding.

"This strategy will enable a product that is already known as the premium disc in the market to be adopted by media users who are looking for a reliable brand to purchase," says Mike Laven, Microboards' Vice President of Sales. "With the maturation of the optical media market, media users are becoming more discerning when it comes to the quality of media that they used to store their priceless family photographs and recordings."

The change will not affect availability, as there will be a seamless transition from the old Taiyo Yuden packaging to the new JVC packaging. "The only difference will be the name on the box and the part number," reports Laven. "We want the change to be pain-free for our current media users." Microboards will provide easy reference guides to substituting the new part numbers as they become available.

Available versions will not change, and include white and silver inkjet and thermal printable media, standard silver lacquer, and WaterShield, the revolutionary new glossy, water-resistant inkjet disc. "In addition, we hope to be announcing several new offerings over the next year," says Laven.

The product is being managed by a new company, JVC Advanced Media U.S.A., which is a joint venture between Victor Company of Japan and Taiyo Yuden. Questions or further information regarding the transition can be directed to 800.646.8881 or sales@microboards.com."
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Well I guess if they're going to keep making their own discs, I don't really care what they call them, as long as I'm still able to find the discs that I like (TYG and YUDEN MIDs).

And thats cool. I didn't know that Microboards was made by them also. So are their discs considered as good as Taiyos?
      SPECS
      DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
      SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

Well I guess if they're going to keep making their own discs, I don't really care what they call them, as long as I'm still able to find the discs that I like (TYG and YUDEN MIDs).
        Ain't it the truth!
        And thats cool. I didn't know that Microboards was made by them also. So are their discs considered as good as Taiyos?
        Dunno, never tried 'em and don't recall seeing any scans/comments by users

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Microboards is Taiyo Yuden and the JVC Taiyo Yuden DVD-R MID is TYG03 and the DVD+R MID is yuden000-T03-00 well the ones I have anyway. The burns were excellent on them and I posted them here in a thread somewhere I think but not remember if it was here or another forum but I'm sure it here

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
            Microboards is Taiyo Yuden
            This statement is confusing to me. Microboards is the primary North American distributor for Taiyo Yuden, but they also carry their own line (Microboards brand) of cd and dvd media. They also are resellers for Verbatim..

So have you used any of these discs? and are you saying these are manufactured by Taiyo Yuden?

I don't recall ever seeing these in the US, but then again I am an old fart...

Comment

I will scan a empty 25 disc box that I have as I had 200 of them but only have 10 left and they are a TYG03 MID as well.

Ok scan is attached but Microboards could be a seperate company but I do know the DVDs they sell are TY media
              Attached Files

Comment

Yeah for some unknown reason I've always thought Microboards was a cheap brand like ritek or memorex, but if they're made by TY then it could be the exact opposite.
                SPECS

Comment

Just looked at your link and not sure if they are TY but the ones I had are and I always thought Microboards sold TY DVD under their name but could be wrong. Could always send them a email asking them

Comment

Ok I think whats going on here is they are a distributor of TY media, in which case you'd get boxes like the ones AGJ has that actually are TY and actually say Taiyo Yuden on the box and then they make their own media which won't say TY on the box and most likely will not have TY MIDs, but I'm just guessing on this.
                    SPECS

Comment

Ok I think whats going on here is they are a distributor of TY media, in which case you'd get boxes like the ones AGJ has that actually are TY and actually say Taiyo Yuden on the box and then they make their own media which won't say TY on the box and most likely will not have TY MIDs, but I'm just guessing on this.
                      Yup, this was my guess too

Comment

Working...
                      X