Newbie coming from iMac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie coming from iMac

I just got my iPad and realize this is THE device to watch movies on. For the past two or three years I've been ripping my DVDs on my iMac and playing them on my old iPod classic. Tiny screen, but jacking it into a TV works fine. Now, however, the iPad is perfect! However, there are many DVDs I've never been able to watch on my handhelds because of various copy protections. The most recent is Coppola's TETRO. Google brought me to DVDFab, but there doesn't seem to be a Mac version. So I am downloading the free version on my Windows laptop and making my first attempt to rip the disc via DVDF.

I'm sure I'll have more specific questions once this rip is finished, but first I wonder if anyone can suggest the best way to approach ripping on a Windows and saving it on a iMac iPad? Besides transporting the ripped file via USB to my iMac.

More questions as they come up. I sure hope this does what it seems to do!!

Is your computers hooked up to a home network and viewable that way. If they are you can try using the windows PC and DVDFab to rip the DVD and try setting the Mac as the target for saving the ripped file to. Not sure if it works this way or not as I not have a Mac to try but others have said ripping and saving between windows computers works

Comment

Sharing on the net, and The Sting problem

This is a GREAT suggestion! We do have a wireless network, but all I know how to do is to access the web from our computers. I don't know how to set it up so we can share devices. Can you point me to some help here?

I have several discs in my collection that I have not been able to rip to my iPad. Yesterday after downloading DVDFab, I tried the New Coppolla film, Tetro, and it was successful. I copied it to a USB drive and there to my Mac and into iTunes and onto my iPad and i'm a happy camper there. Next, however, I tried an old favorite, "The Sting" and had no success! When I put the disc in nothing comes up in the window "DVD to Mobile - iPad" There are columns for Title, Play Time, Chapter, Aspect Ratio, and Format. I don't remember exactly, but with Tetro, I'm sure it filled this in. If I remove the disc, I get a DVD Passkey message saying no disc is there. When I put the disc back in it tells me the sourer is STING_SE. and closes after 20 seconds. Nothing after that. It continues to say "Please insert DVD disc or choose folder/image file" I try clicking "Start" and "Open Queue"

Anyone had success with "The Sting?"

Comment

This is a DVD Fab forum, so I think you will have to do some research elsewhere about networking the mac & PC but some other user may be able to chime in.

On older title, always try disabling Pathplayer in "Settings" (Little gree tick top right of window) but son't forget to turn it back on afterwards.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by RikP View Post
          This is a GREAT suggestion! We do have a wireless network, but all I know how to do is to access the web from our computers. I don't know how to set it up so we can share devices. Can you point me to some help here?

I have several discs in my collection that I have not been able to rip to my iPad. Yesterday after downloading DVDFab, I tried the New Coppolla film, Tetro, and it was successful. I copied it to a USB drive and there to my Mac and into iTunes and onto my iPad and i'm a happy camper there. Next, however, I tried an old favorite, "The Sting" and had no success! When I put the disc in nothing comes up in the window "DVD to Mobile - iPad" There are columns for Title, Play Time, Chapter, Aspect Ratio, and Format. I don't remember exactly, but with Tetro, I'm sure it filled this in. If I remove the disc, I get a DVD Passkey message saying no disc is there. When I put the disc back in it tells me the sourer is STING_SE. and closes after 20 seconds. Nothing after that. It continues to say "Please insert DVD disc or choose folder/image file" I try clicking "Start" and "Open Queue"

Anyone had success with "The Sting?"
          For setting up PC computers you need to go to "Control Panel-Network and Internet" and experiment with the settings to allow sharing among computers on your home network. You may have to do something similar with the Mac but like I said I not have a Mac so no help in that department.

You should not be running passkey and DVDFab together as that not good. Close down Passkey and do what GregiBoy mentioned for the DVD Sting and do not forget that you need to select the main movie before the other selections are available

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
            This is a DVD Fab forum, so I think you will have to do some research elsewhere about networking the mac & PC but some other user may be able to chime in.

On older title, always try disabling Pathplayer in "Settings" (Little gree tick top right of window) but son't forget to turn it back on afterwards.
            Thanks for this, GregiBoy, but clicking on the green tick opens "Common Settings" with no suggestions of "Pathplayer" Can you point me to a manual or instructions file where I might be able to help myself??

Comment

Originally posted by RikP View Post
              Thanks for this, GregiBoy, but clicking on the green tick opens "Common Settings" with no suggestions of "Pathplayer" Can you point me to a manual or instructions file where I might be able to help myself??
              When Common Settings window is open, find "PathPlayer" on a list on a left side of the window (somewhere in a middle)
              sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
              For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
              For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
              Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
                When Common Settings window is open, find "PathPlayer" on a list on a left side of the window (somewhere in a middle)
                Here's what I get:

> info
                >General
                Customize UI
                A/V Codec
                Preview
                Sound
                Network
                Diagnosis

>DVD / Blueray
                Read
                Write
                > Streams
                Audio
                Subpicture

> DVD to DVD
                Split
                Customize

> Blue-ray to Blu-ray
                > X to Mobile
                Convert
                Output
                PSP

> File Mover

Could the reason I don't see "PathPlayer" is because I am still working with an unregistered version? The Sting is only the second disc I've tried to rip, and I'm trying to find out if it will work for me. The reviews and comments are all very favorable, so I have high hopes, but I don't want to pay for it if there are a fair percentage of movies I'll not be able to watch on my iPad.
                Last edited by RikP; 07-26-2010, 03:25 PM.

Comment

If I was you I would check again as you are missing the part for Protection where you can select what to be removed and what to keep for region code and other and it is located like below

>DVD / Blueray
                  Read
                  Write
                  >Protection
                  DVD
                  Blu-ray
                  Pathplayer

> Streams
                  Audio
                  Subpicture
                  Last edited by AGJ; 07-26-2010, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Lack of "Protection" section in your program leads me to believe that you might have installed a "None-CSS Version" of DVDFab. Version that doesn't remove any protection.
                    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
                    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Yes and to make sure we need you to post the internal logs located at Documents-dvdfab-log as they will say if you have the non css version or not

Comment

Still Stuck...

Yes, exactly! Some reason I installed the version that did not have the protection included. I downloaded and ran the proper version. The DVDPasskey accepted the disc, and the DVDfab started on the disc of The Sting. Shortly it reported that there was a read error. I elected to ignore it figuring that there WAS a read error. That was why I've never been able to rip it .Then I had to select ignore all. Soon the ripping began. It reported that the time would be about 6 hours! I thought that excessive, but tolerable. Soon it reached about 9% complete, but the Task Time Left no longer gave 6 hours, but ZERO. It's been stuck at 9.35% accomplished and no encoding FPS. Time elapsed is over 4 hours. It's stuck.

Has anyone there tried to rip The Sting? Are there any suggestions at this point?

Comment

Firstly, you shouldn't be using Passkey and Fab at the same time. They are both trying to do the same thing. I know they should not conflict but sometimes I have found them to.

"The Stig", if it is the old Paul newman movie, is an older release, should be tried with Patplayer disabled.

If you have had a lot of read errors on this disk, your DMA may need resetting.

have aread of mainemans troubleshooting guide (Link in my signature below)
                          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Thanks for all

You have all been very instructive in my wandering into DVDFab. I am still unable to rip "The Sting" but I'll go back over your messages and try again. I did, however, come across a somewhat newer title that I have been unable to rip with my Mac: "The Leatherheads" It was a breeze with DVDFab! It did take nearly 5 hours to complete, however. My Fps hovered around 7 or 8. I don't know if this is customary, but the fact that it allows me to watch my titles on my new iPad makes the time worth it. This makes 2 of the 3 titles I've tried succeed. I'm a believer. I'm registering now.

So I went to register DVD to Mobile and see a note that says I must have a DVD to DVD registration. I think $35 for the DVD to Mobile is reasonable (even if it is only for 2 years ... I mean in 2012 who knows how we will be watching movies?) but to add another $57.60 to the cost drives this out of my price range. Tell me I don't need to spend the 57?
                            Last edited by RikP; 07-28-2010, 09:10 PM. Reason: adding registering experience

Comment

Sorry, you need both modules for things to work correctly!!

Most of us old hands would also recommend "Lifetime" subscription as the best value for money.

Comment

Working...
                              X