X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having trouble with a DVD in a name brand DVDRW

My lite-on DVDRW SHW-160P6S is not good for all DVDs

Search around and you can see I have had some strange constant problems with certain DVDs that would not work / copy / read / play.

Id get told its a scratch or dirt when it wasn't that way.
    Often brand new DVD's would be doing it. [ cheech n chongs watch this relase date 4/20/2010]

What I have narrowed it down to is this name brand DVDRW either sucks or has some built in protection that certain DVDs will not play in it, they will just make it click and pop.

Change to an old cheap generic DVDRW and suddenly all those DVDs I had trouble with; play and read just fine.

From now on, no more name brands for me.
    Cheap china junk works better.

I never had a problem with my lite-on's and DVDFab but I mainly use my LG drive for reading and my Pioneer drive for the burning since my lite-on about 2 years ago stopped working for me after a month. Now I just have lite-on DVD-Rom so I can do some disc scans of the burned DVDs DVDFab creates.

Pick up a LG DVD drive as they are great burners and readers as well and use the lite-on for watching the DVDs

Comment

Sounds like you got a lemon, but painting all LiteOns with a broad "lemon" brush is silly.
      It's like saying all Volvo or Mercedes Benz automobiles are bad after a bad experience with one.
      On the one hand, I don't blame you for being turned off after being stung, but your statements are nevertheless, ludicrous.

I've owned about 20 or so burners (includes 3 other family members).
      About 12 have been LiteOns, others have been Benq, Samsung, Sony-Optiarc and HP (Philips). Some are retired, but none are dead.

While some are better readers or writers, they all have performed decently and I have never had one go belly up.
      Some of the liteys have been the best all-around performers and have logged the most hours
      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

I would not call it a lemon, it worked great but every so often id get a DVD it would not read, just clicked n poped like a bad disc. Or would not read to copy.

Only thing I could think is its either a brand of copy protection that keeps some disc from being read in a DVDRW [ which a name brand company would do as most have outside intrest] or maybe they are overburned disc beyond what it can read.

[At one time they tried to put the kybash on over burn disc use and creation, as it was one of the first copy protection I member. Had to burn it to VHS for a back up way in the day times. ]

like how some home DVDRW VHS combo's will copy anything and some won't and some will do only some.

Or ever get a free spyware / cookie program and it destroys your no cd crack for games that really don't need a CD in when playing but insist on it for some reason.

outside intrest made that happen and its looks like lite-on took that dump truck full of cash to do it.

Comment

Well, I looked around a bit and it seems that the SHW-160P6S has had more than its share of problems.
          Eventually, some users were able to get it right with firmware flashes, but many others were't.

By the looks of things, I'm afraid you got stuck with a bad model.
          Like the Volvos with Renault engines that started production in the Netherlands about 1974...if I remember correctly.

On another note, I'm still using a litey 165H6S in an older pc and it's still a workhorse...very reliable.

Glad to hear the el cheapo is working well.
          Quite a few years ago, I bought my son a $42 throwaway dvd player that played anything, no problem...worked as well as my Pioneer.
          Smelled like burnt plastic for the first few months, but that thing made through 4 years of college in a suite with 8 guys...
          If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
            Well, I looked around a bit and it seems that the SHW-160P6S has had more than its share of problems.
            Eventually, some users were able to get it right with firmware flashes, but many others were't.

By the looks of things, I'm afraid you got stuck with a bad model.
            Like the Volvos with Renault engines that started production in the Netherlands about 1974...if I remember correctly.

On another note, I'm still using a litey 165H6S in an older pc and it's still a workhorse...very reliable.

Glad to hear the el cheapo is working well.
            Quite a few years ago, I bought my son a $42 throwaway dvd player that played anything, no problem...worked as well as my Pioneer.
            Smelled like burnt plastic for the first few months, but that thing made through 4 years of college in a suite with 8 guys...

Its working but I need to find a new one I can trust to do everything as this one is new enough to do everything, but old enough that when you need to FF or what ever, it has to pause for a sec then downshift to go faster.
            Which is annoying.

Why I was looking at litescribe ones, old enough tech for them to be cheap now but also very useful.

Comment

I have an Optiarc dvd-rw drive that was picky about certain dvd's (always kept thinking the disc was scratched!)....stopped using it, bought an LG BD/HD-DVD burner...no problems ever again.

Comment

Working...
              X