Wdtv vs argosy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Media Players Wdtv vs argosy

I currently have a WDTV HD media player and researching other media players OTHER than the Western Digital product line. WD players are buggy, they have issues with some formats and the support s_ _ ks.

After viewing other products and reading the owners comments, I feel the Argosy HV339T is a much better MP. http://www.argosy.tw/product-detial.php?prod_id=171

NO. I am not getting paid to say this, It is just that I am tired of WD promises and swift marketing when we all know there are much better fish in the sea. COMMENTS ?

What you posted has been talked about on the forum here for a long time now. Depending on what you want it for these below are not too bad as well

Comment

wrw50
      My friend Maineman has the Argosy HV335T Media Player and likes it very much, maybe he will chime in and tell you about it.
      CBR929
      Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

I have read most of the threads about this subject that have gone back several years. Maybe what I am asking is, does DADFAB have a favorite player they recommend ? OR even what other members recommens. YES I could sit here for days searching for products and comments on the web but
        what is the DVDfab community using?

Comment

I think nearly everyone has a different preference except for the poor buggers who were sucked in by WD marketing hype and are now less than happy.

As has said before, I actually import players into Australia as a business and my two current favourites are the Measy E9HD www.measy.com.cn and the Kaiboer K530i www.kaiboerhd.com

I have both installed and both work great and have had little problems or complaints about those that have been purchased.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

gregiboy
            THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT.

Never heard of these. I guess I should take the plunge instead of wading in the water.

Comment

wrw50

GregiBoy has been doing this for years and I would consider him the best and most knowledgeable on this subject, the only thing is he is from Australia, and if you live in the states like me we may not be able to get the same players as him.
              I am just about ready to venture into this also, but had to put it off for a few months, but will try soon
              CBR929
              Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Well, better late than never...
                As you already know, I have the Argosy HV335T Media Player and couldn't be happier with it.
                Like anything, there are trade-offs, but for $89 US, ya can't beat it.
                It plays just about anything I throw at it.

My biggest beef is having to scroll through the menu when you have literally 100's, if not a 1000+, conversions on a hdd.
                Really a minor issue and can be be remedied by a firmware update (maybe already done on the HV339T) so the user can page up/page down or by organizing one's files.
                I prefer the former, but then GregiBoy said I was lazy...no argument there...

Also no argument about GregiBoy's expertise. He's been my mentor and has never given me bum advice.
                But, he also resides in Oz, so his hardware might be pricey and/or hard to come by for you since you're in the US.

The Argosy HV339T looks like a winner to me and will probably be my next MP.
                Sounds like you've done your homework...time to have some fun.
                If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Have you used the Argosy in a wireless environment? If so, what adapter do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by wrw50 View Post
                    Have you used the Argosy in a wireless environment? If so, what adapter do you use?
                    Nope, never tried it.

I bought my HV335T from Amazon this past Spring and it wasn't bundled with the adapter.
                    The specs for my Argosy adapter:
                    802.11g (Realtek RTL8187B controller only)
                    802.11n (Realtek RTL8192/RTL8191SU controller only).

I debated giving it a shot, but Greg has cautioned us a number of times to steer clear of wireless video streaming.
                    In the event that a "hard-wired house" is not feasible, Greg did suggest using
                    "Netgear Powerline adaptors which provide ethernet over power".

A pretty nifty idea.
                    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Yup totally correct MM.

Wireless & streaming video do not mix.

Anyone can say/think whatever they like but from bitter experience, I will not even attempt an installation that uses wireless.

This is with streaming DVD rips and BR is even worse because of the far higher bitrate required.
                      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Ya, this technology has been around for many years but I don't know
                        anyone that have used it. I used to have some X10 modules for controlling
                        lighting through house wiring but that was simple tech compared to shooting
                        bits through 14ga wire to a digital device.

Anyone tried the this?

Comment

The avermedia player has been getting some really good reviews

Comment

Gregiboy.

You are right. Wireless is like sendimg a letter were ethernet is like making a phone call. I definitly will be going with the PowerLine or cat5e.

Being in the U.S. there are a lot of MPs on the market, none that I've seen that can do what your imports can do. Why havent your imports hit the states? Or have they?

Comment

WD media player

My biggest problem with WD media player is I first must convert HD files to MKV in order to get a one click movie play in the WD menue. If I don't convert to MKV then I get a movie folder listing with all the stuff instead of just a Movie title listing. No I'm dealing with BluRay and when I convert to MKV I seem to loose the subtitles. In a media player I want a menue of movies which I can click on to play the movie. So what is the best way to get this? WD with MKV or some other player and another file format?

Comment

Working...
                              X