help setting up external dvd library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help setting up external dvd library

I am about to purchases DVDfab after being so pleased with the trial version. I have purchased a 1tb external hard drive and want to burn my dvd library to it, so that we never have to touch the dvd's again. I know how to do this, however, I'm having trouble coming up with the best quality settings (video and audio) for playback.

I have downloaded the VLC player to make playback (whatever file extension I wind up with) a breeze.

My TV is only a 30" 720p, but we love it and it has a great picture - when playing DVD's thru a DVD player.

Any help on settings and whether I should "rip" the movie, "clone" the disc, yada, yada, yada?

Need additional info...
    It sounds like you want to connect your ext hdd to your pc, connect your pc to your tv and simply play the files with VLC.

How do you plan to connect your pc to your tv?
    HDMI to HDMI ?
    I know nothing of your pc's hardware
    This is your best bet and simplest option if feasible, since HDMI will carry both video and audio signals.

If you're outputting from a DVI port, do you have 2 DVI ports?
    You'll need to use a patch cord from DVI to HDMI and you'll also need to run audio from your sound card to the patch cord (and/or adapter).
    If you're outputting from VGA, it gets worse.

Personally, unless your pc can output HDMI, I would do one of two things.
    Purchase a media player. I have had an Argosy MP since 03/10. Cost $89 from Amazon back then. I love it.

It plays any file format...dvd folders, .ISO, any variety of mobile conversions.... .mkv, .avi, etc., etc.
    This conserves a great deal of space and the quality is identical to a dvd when viewed on my 42" HDTV.
    It plays Blu-ray files as well.

It also will handle ext hdds.
    Soon, I''ll be hooking up 4 x 2 TB hdds in a JBOD array (box). Including the hdd installed in my Argosy...this makes 10 TB.
    Not too shabby.

Your other option is to purchase a new, expensive video card...and this may not even be feasible.

If you haven't guessed by now, pick up a media player. Do some research.
    You won't be sorry
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

I wholeheartedly agree with Maineman.

Buy a Media Player.

Have been doing this for years and you will never look back

(Except for wanting more & newer media player models & bigger hard disks )
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

wow, thanks for the valuable info - I wasn't aware that there WERE these types of media devices out there. I've been reading reviews on the Argosy and so far, I like what I'm reading.

I also have the option to plug my hard drive directly into my Dish Receiver, but it's my understanding that they charge a one-time fee of $99 to access it. If I were to just do that (I'm still weighing my options), can you advise on settings for good quality playback for my movies?

Comment

UPDATE: Just talked to Dish and it's actually only a $40 one-time activation fee, however, the DVR will have to reformat the hard drive and I'm not crazy about this. One of my options was to use a laptop I have that has a cracked screen as the media player, but it only has USB ports.

I think I'll just get a media player and be done with it.

Thanks!

Comment

So sorry, one more thing: I'm going to go ahead and start backing up my dvd's to my hard drive while waiting on my Argosy. I still need to know what settings I should use and what type of files I should be creating.

I've got about 400 DVD's and a 1TB hard drive.

Comment

When I started archiving to hdds,, I relied on GregiBoy's expertise.
              He's been doing this professionally for years.
              While .mkv is the container of choice right now (and of the near future anyway), I did some experimenting with profiles and you should too.

For starters I used a few of Greg's tried and true profiles.
              One of my early and enduring favorites is his samsung profile.
              Here's a link:

This will reduce a 4-4.3 GB flick down to roughly 1 GB and you'll never notice much, if any difference.

Best advice I can give is to fool around a bit and find what works best for you.
              If you get stuck, just post back. Someone is usually around
              Last edited by maineman; 12-01-2010, 03:58 AM. Reason: fixed link

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Awesome - thanks!

Before I order my Argosy player, I've got a question about it. I have several different TV series' on DVD. If I were to copy each individual episode (yes, I know this will take some time) and put them in file folders (for example, a folder would be labeled Season 1, Disc 2, with all those episodes in that folder), will I be able to just "play the folder" or will I have to play each individual episode, one at a time?

I promise, this is my last question. I could just save the frustration and copy the full disc, but I'm concerned about hard drive space.
                Last edited by skatterbrane; 12-01-2010, 05:30 AM. Reason: one last question

Comment

No it won't play all content (files) of a folder continuously...at least not the HV335T.
                  You can hit the "Next File" button on the remote or select content from the menu titles in a normal fashion.
                  You'll want to change the title names to something shorter and easier to navigate. You'll see what I mean

My biggest complaint about my Argosy is having to scroll through the menu when there are literally 100's, if not a 1000+, conversions on a hdd.
                  The last firmware update I tried made things a bit quicker.

I'm hoping for an additional firmware update with a page up/page down function.
                  Otherwise, you'll have to organize the titles somehow.
                  Trying to organize in terrms of genres, didn't work out well for me...
                  I've broken the alphabet down to subfolders, eg., A-D, etc.

Comment

Working...
                  X