New Video Card Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU/GPU New Video Card Help

I have a HP p6310y desktop. When I try to compress 50bd to 25bd it shows that it'll take more than 24 hours. I was reading around and saw that everyone recommends getting a GTX 260 core 216. I also read that the card is 10.5 in length. I was wondering if anyone could help me out, I'm not sure if its going to fit in my computer or if it'll interfere with anything. My motherboard •Motherboard manufacturer's name: Pegatron M2N78-LA
    •HP/Compaq name: Violet-GL8E. And I already upgraded to a better PSU.

Firstly, be certain that you do not compress on the initial rip.
    Compress only after ripping to your hdd without any compression...never compress from the original BD disc.

Now use the uncompressed hdd files as your Source and compress as desired to BD25, BD9, BD5, etc.

Try this before looking at a new card.

I took a quick look at your motherboard specs and this board does have a PCI Express x16 slot.
    Whether or not you have room to cram the card in is another story.
    Best to check the hp support site or contact support and see if the card you have in mind will physically fit in your case.

What are you using for graphics now?...onboard chip?

What cpu are you using now?
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

The first time I tried to compress from the disc and that didn't work. But then I tried to compress from hdd and it said more than 24 hours. It didn't even say a certain time just went to 00:00:00. And after 2 days of non stop googling I found that the card will fit, not sure how crammed it will be, but it'll fit. GPU and CPU are still original ones.

Comment

Well the GTX 260 core 216 is a great card. About 14 months ago, I dropped the
        EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
        into my '09 build and couldn't be more pleased. It's a really nice card.
        I don't think newegg has it available anymore, but you can get a newer, faster card now anyway...and for what I paid last year.

While your integrated video chip is CUDA supported, this thing must get hotter than chickens laying hard-boiled eggs
        when trying to encode BD files.

In Common Settings > A/V Codec, does Fab detect CUDA support?

If yes, try wiith these settings and if you can, monitor your temps when encoding:

Click image for larger version

Name:	AV Codec.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	304382

Now, set your Video Decoder and Video Encoder to Software only and give these settings a shot.
        See attachment:

Click image for larger version

Name:	AV Codec 2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	304381

What kind of results are you seeing?
        What are you looking at for the 260 GTX 216 price-wise?
        Last edited by maineman; 12-03-2010, 04:23 AM.
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

I was looking more at the Evga Gtx 260 because I have read that it's reliable. But I was also looking at the Evga Gtx 460 1gb. Not sure if it's compatible with dvdfab though. I accidentally bought the 260 off eBay for $210 with shipping. But am thinking of getting the 460 off newegg for about $10-20 more, and then trying to sell the 260 on craigslist or something. I haven't tried compressing with the settings yet, but will give it a try today in the afternoon.

Comment

Working...
          X