Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What file format (if any) will play back surround sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What file format (if any) will play back surround sound?

I have been playing with DVDFab for the past month and I have not found a single file format, rip setting, or method that will create an audio file that will play back with surround sound.

Has anybody but me actually tried this? I'm not looking for suggestions of what might work. I would like to hear from someone who actually HAS ripped a DVD to a file, and played it back in Dolby Digital surround sound.

Anybody...? Anybody?

If I remember correctly the "xbox360.wmv.wma10" XBox 360 profile gives you 5.1 Multichannel. Also the VOB Passthrough gives you exactly what the source DVD has for sound. Maybe give those two a try to see if you like. I not convert for sometime but believe those 2 do give you what you want

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
      If I remember correctly the "xbox360.wmv.wma10" XBox 360 profile gives you 5.1 Multichannel. Also the VOB Passthrough gives you exactly what the source DVD has for sound. Maybe give those two a try to see if you like. I not convert for sometime but believe those 2 do give you what you want
      I'm using version 6 of DVDfab. Maybe it doesn't have these profiles? There should be a more user-controlled way of setting up the sound profiles.

Comment

v6 is no longer supported but it does have mkv and avi profiles that has an audiocopy option. There may be other profiles but mkv.h264.audiocopy is my flavor of choice and it works very well with my surround sound system.

Comment

W&B is totally correct.

All audiocopy profiles, even back in V6, will include the surround sound track that you choose when setting up the encoding.

It is another matter for your device to play them though. If using a PC, the correct codecs must be installed or if a Media Player, it must support Dolby Digital or DTS (Whichever you choose)
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Working...
          X