new pc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other new pc

hi all, i have a new pc and i transferred my dvdfab over to it from my old one, i then put my old pc back to the factory settings before i sell it, will putting it back to factory settings wipe all traces of dvdfab and my key from the registry and everywhere else. thanks in advance. gordon.

So you installed a fresh windows onto your old computer using the factory install cd? If that is correct then yes no more traces of DVDFab on old computer

Comment

It sounds like you're running system recovery from a partition on the hdd...
      or perhaps as AGJ guessed, from recovery discs.
      In any case, it depends on exactly what you did.

For eg., many HP's have a non-destructive system recovery, which will save your programs and data, but return the system to factory settings and applications.
      You also have the option of running a destructive recovery which will format your hdd and re-image the hdd to factory settings and result in complete data loss....it'll be just like the day you got it....ie., no Fab.

What make/model pc is this and exactly what did you do?
      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

hi AGJ, i switched on old pc and put in the application and support cd switched off and on and booted from cd, followed instructions as they came up, took about 15 minutes to finish and then ejected the disc, shutdown pc, started it again and it showed the screen like i was as new user, asking me to go through steps to activate windows xp and all that kind of thing, i didn't activate though as i want it left at factory settings for the next person that gets it, just wanted to make sure that all traces of me are deleted from the pc. thanks in advance. gordon.

Comment

didn't see you there maineman, old pc is a medion 8800 titanium.

Comment

Originally posted by flashgordon View Post
            didn't see you there maineman, old pc is a medion 8800 titanium.
            Hahaha, didn't see you either.
            Sounds like you're ok for general public consumption.

The fact that it only took 15 minutes total means it didn't do a full reformat, but someone with some expertise would have to roll up their sleeves and do some serious recovery work....not simple, not cheap and might not work anyway.

Anything on your pc that's really troublesome like bank acoounts etc.?
            There's an excellent, free utility called
            Kill Disk
            It's a watered-down version of a disc sanitizer used by the DoD (Dept of Defense) that'll write 0's across your hdd.

I've used it a few times when I thought the kids had physically ruined their hdds.
            Windows wouldn't/couldn't reformat.
            Anyway, it resurrected the hdds

Like I said, it sounds like you're all set...unless you're paranoid like me....
            If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

I did read the op had the install cd but for those that only have the recovery partition on their hdd DO NOT run kill disk (great program btw) or you will lose the recovery partition and then the only option will be to purchase a new windows installation disc.

Comment

hi, thanks folks for putting my mind at rest, the old pc is all boxed up ready to go and couldn't really be bothered unpacking it again!! its always a pleasure being helped on this forum. oh' and to maineman yep my middle name is "PARANOID"....

Comment

Working...
                X