Drive stopped automatically requesting blank disc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Drive stopped automatically requesting blank disc

This just started happening today. Previously, once DVDFab copied my disc to the hard drive, it would spit it out and ask me to insert a blank DVD for burning.

Now, though, it just completes the copy to hard drive, then I have to click Finished to exit the screen. Then I have to hunt for the file, select it, and tell it to burn it to disc.

Before it was automatic and easy. Did I change some setting somewhere?

Thanks!

Jon

Hi Jonre"
    What are you using for your output destination??? Also is this the "free" or paid version....If the free version or if you were using the trial, it may have run out and you will no longer to compress or burn, only full disc rip to Hdd.
    CBR929
    Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Thanks for the response.

I am using the paid-for version.

My SOURCE is: D:\{MOVIE NAME}

My TARGET is: D:\{ATAPI iHAS124 B ALOF (idle)}

Here is something I've discovered: If I am at the computer when the original disc is copied, the drive opens and a message pops up asking for me to insert a blank disc (also, the computer beeps). This is how it has worked previously.

However, if I am not there to see the drive open and insert the blank disk within X minutes, now I have to click on FINISH and close the window, then search for the file on the hard drive and manually burn it to the disc.

Basically, before there was no time limit for me to put in the blank; now, apparently, there is.

I appreciate any help,

Jonre

Comment

I'm not aware of any "time-out" feature, but I have not had a single ODD rig since 2002-03.

You might want to simply install (or reinstall) the most current version, 8062 Beta and this may do it for you.

If no dice, you might also consider changing your settings.
        Common Settings > Read
        At the bottom of the window, tick
        Do not eject source disc when finished copying

This should prevent any "time-out" and hopefully will allow you to proceed without restarting the software.
        Last edited by maineman; 12-23-2010, 11:32 PM. Reason: typo
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by Jonre View Post
          My SOURCE is: D:\{MOVIE NAME}

My TARGET is: D:\{ATAPI iHAS124 B ALOF (idle)}
          Is it OK for source & target/destination to be the same letter (D in this case) or am I missing something?

You can change the target folder yourself to anywhere you want on your machine:
          Launch DVDFab > Click on the green check mark in the upper right > in the left pane click on "General" > on the right hand side change the "Output Directory" to any desired place(I personally prefer Desktop).
          Last edited by LoveDVDFab; 12-24-2010, 07:36 AM.

Comment

@LoveDVDFab
            Jonre is copying a DVD from the source drive D:\{ATAPI iHAS124 B ALOF (idle) which will state the DVD Volume instead of the DVD Drive name for the target drive. Jonre only has one DVD Drive installed so needs to change the original DVD with a blank DVD to continue

@Jonre
            I suggest doing what Maineman mentioned and uncheck eject source DVD to see if that will fix the timeout. When I used just one DVD Drive that was one of my settings and still is even though I have more than 2 DVD Drives on my main computer

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
              @LoveDVDFab
              Jonre only has one DVD Drive installed so needs to change the original DVD with a blank DVD to continue
              That's the part I missed, thank you AGJ. (Silly me)

Comment

If I tick Do not eject source disc when finished copying, I don't think that will do what I want to accomplish.

I do want the source disc ejected - but I want it to then ask me to insert my blank disc.

What I do not want is for it to get impatient while waiting for the blank disc and say, Never mind - go find the file yourself on the hard drive.

On another note, do most of you do this with two burners? If I install a second burner (and configure the settings correctly), is it then basically a one-click process? Is that any faster? That is, does the reading have to complete before the burning starts, or is there some overlap where both processes are happening simultaneously?

Thanks!

Jonre

Comment

Originally posted by Jonre View Post
                  If I tick Do not eject source disc when finished copying, I don't think that will do what I want to accomplish.

I do want the source disc ejected - but I want it to then ask me to insert my blank disc.
                  I'm pretty sure doing as I suggested will accomplish this. You will have to tell Fab to eject the disc, however.
                  Then Fab should proceed in a normal fashion and ask you to insert the blank media.
                  The whole idea here is that you do not exit the software.

However, what you're experiencing, is not normal behavior for Fab.

I would venture a guess that most users have multiple ODDs.
                  And yes, it would become a 1-click process.
                  No, it's really not faster except that you don't have to swap out the discs.
                  It IS easier.

Another thought...
                  While it costs more up front (burners are really cheap and plentiful though),
                  you will cut your usage by about 50 % for any one burner. So in the long run, the economics work and you'll be happier

Like Ron Popeil, "Set it and Forget it" ...

Have you tried installing the latest version to see if this issue is reproduced?
                  Last edited by maineman; 12-26-2010, 01:36 PM. Reason: additional comment

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Reading over your post and I just had another thought. Hate to ask the obvious, but...
                    Your burner should still displayed in your Target window (as well as the Source window)...
                    or has it changed to your hdd?

Comment

However, what you're experiencing, is not normal behavior for Fab.
                      Yeah, that's what I am thinking.

While it costs more up front (burners are really cheap and plentiful though),you will cut your usage by about 50 % for any one burner. So in the long run, the economics work and you'll be happier
                      This is a great point - hadn't thought of that.

Have you tried installing the latest version to see if this issue is reproduced?
                      I am running 8.0.6.1., which I just upgraded to. The problem occurred before and after the update.

Your burner should still displayed in your Target window (as well as the Source window)...or has it changed to your hdd?
                      Nope, it's showing the (same) burner as both source and target.

I haven't tried to burn anything lately, but when I get some time I will go through the process and watch carefully how everything behaves. I'll even time it to see how long it takes before it 'times out'.

Thanks for the help,

Jonre

Comment

Latest version is DVDFab 8.0.6.5 just released December 27, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
                          Latest version is DVDFab 8.0.6.5 just released December 27, 2010
                          Did not know that, thanks.

Comment

OK, upgraded to 8.0.6.5

After the drive copied the disc to a temp file, it asked for a blank disc. I inserted a blank, then the DVDFab screen indicated that it was done copying the disc. My only option at that point was to click on FINISH.

I had to again find the temp folder and select it as my source for burning to a blank disc.

Not sure what else to try.

Jonre

Comment

Try using ImgBurn as the burn engine instead of the VSO burn engine that comes bundled with DVDFab

Text below is from this thread thanks to troy512 http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=12

There is an easy way to set DVDFab and ImgBurn for your needs.
                              Very easy takes less than 2 minutes.
                              Once setup you will not have to click any additional buttons when using ImgBurn with DVDFab to burn single layer DVD5 media.

Download and install imgburn.
                              imgburn, imgburner, img burn, img burner, imageburn, imageburner, image burn, image burner, image write, image writer, iso burner, iso writer, cd burner, dvd burner, bin, cue, gcm, gi, img, iso, lst, nrg, mds, pdi, burn, burner, write, writer, image, drive, cuesheet, lightning uk, dvd decrypter, backup, cd, cdr, cdrw, dvd, dvdr, dvd-r, dvd-rw, dvd-r dl, dvd+r, dvd+rw, dvd+r dl, dvdram, hd dvd-r, hd dvd-rw, hd dvd-ram, bd-r, bd-re, dual layer, double layer, bluray, blu ray, blu-ray, hddvd, hd dvd, hd-dvd, burn audio, write audio, burn bin, write bin, burn cue, write cue, burn dvd, write dvd, burn iso, write iso, burn img, write img, write image, burn video_ts, write video_ts, burn bdmv, write bdmv, burn dvd video, write dvd video, burn bluray, write bluray, burn blu-ray, write blu-ray, layerbreak, layer break, VIDEO_TS, bup ifo vob

Set DVDFab to use ImgBurn burn engine and recommended speed

1. Click Common Settings in the upper right corner
                              2. Click the Write Tab under DVD / Blu-ray
                              3. Select ImgBurn Burn Engine
                              4. Select Recommended Write Speed [only for use with ImgBurn Auto Write Speed]
                              5. Select OK and restart DVDFab to apply the changed settings
                              Setting Up ImgBurn
                              Hello and welcome to another of my legendary guides *cough* In this one I'll be explaining how to use the new 'Automatic Write Speed' feature found in versions 2.2.0.0 onwards. For those of you that don't know, the 'Automatic Write Speed' feature basically lets you configure a set of predefined w...

1. Insert your blank dvd media
                              2. Click Write Mode from the EZ-Mode Picker
                              3. Select AWS as your Write Speed
                              4. Click Change Automatic Write Speed
                              5. Select the desired Write Speed
                              6. Click Add
                              7. Set the AWS for each brand/mid of blank media you will use. You may also select different write speeds for multiple burning drives.
                              8. Click OK
                              Then just copy and burn as usual.
                              DVDFab will automatically open ImgBurn and automatically Close when the burn is finished.

Note: When burning a Dual Layer DVD, ImgBurn will present you with a Create Layer Break window. Select the best layer break according to the colored stars. You can even preview the layer break to ensure the transition will not interfere with your movie.

Comment

Working...
                              X