This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on blu-ray size and quality

Just wondering, is there any quality loss at all when I am ripping a movie that is way over 25GB in size, namely Transformers 2, down to the 25GB 1080p setting in DVDFab?

Hard to believe that a 42GB movie file will retain its quality when ripped to 25GB.??

Originally posted by shadow85 View Post
    Just wondering, is there any quality loss at all when I am ripping a movie that is way over 25GB in size, namely Transformers 2, down to the 25GB 1080p setting in DVDFab?

Hard to believe that a 42GB movie file will retain its quality when ripped to 25GB.??
    A simple answer NO, hardly indistinguishable from the original.

Comment

Originally posted by touchdown_1 View Post
      A simple answer NO, hardly indistinguishable from the original.
      Yeah I thought so.

Comment

compressing anything or reducing the size of anything will cause a degradation in quality.

It may not be visible on a computer screen or very noticable but try putting it up on a 50" plasma and you will notice the difference. The same for sound comparing the output to pc speaker to a decent home cinema package.

To give you an analogy: look at a picture in raw format and then the same pic in jpg format. on a small screen they look identical but on larger screen you definately notice the difference in quality.

Comment

Really, it comes down to what YOU can discern and what YOU are happy with.

It is a very subjective topic.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by audiophile View Post
            compressing anything or reducing the size of anything will cause a degradation in quality.

It may not be visible on a computer screen or very noticable but try putting it up on a 50" plasma and you will notice the difference. The same for sound comparing the output to pc speaker to a decent home cinema package.

To give you an analogy: look at a picture in raw format and then the same pic in jpg format. on a small screen they look identical but on larger screen you definately notice the difference in quality.
            Hi audiophile,
            I have compressed 25 GB to DVD5, and on my 36" Panny and Sony BD player, I honestly can't tell the difference from the movie theater, or my home theater.
            As GregiBoy says " it's all subjective "

Comment

Honestly,

I cannot tell the difference between the original DVD and the H264 encoded file played on my 52" Samsung HD TV through it's inbuilt USB media player and neither can at least 30 of my friends that I have asked for their opinion.

On that note, it's going to have to take a lot of convincing to get me to go Blu-Ray as I feel that the bang for the bucks is not there yet.
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I have copied several blu-rays now to DVD-9 and I really cant say I can see much of a difference in them. At least using a 2 pass encoding software anyways. I am excited for DVDfab to get this as well. DVDfab still looks very good on DVD-9. You would have to pause and look closely to tell. I am even viewing on a over 100" from a 1080p projector as well. A Mitsubishi HC5500 to be exact.

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                Honestly,

I cannot tell the difference between the original DVD and the H264 encoded file played on my 52" Samsung HD TV through it's inbuilt USB media player and neither can at least 30 of my friends that I have asked for their opinion.

On that note, it's going to have to take a lot of convincing to get me to go Blu-Ray as I feel that the bang for the bucks is not there yet.
                Honestly online you can get most Blu-ray for the same price as the DVD. A few even include the DVD as well. Even Verbatim Blu-ray media can be had for $3 something per disc now. Blu-ray is not much more money and way better movie experience on most new movies.

Comment

Yeah, but the players and writers are still way overpriced

Comment

I picked up the Panasonic DMP-BD60 for $123 shipped with free Snow White on Blu-ray from amazon.com about a week ago. That is pretty affordable if you ask me.

Your search for great deals and coupon savings ends here. Find the best bargains and money-saving offers, discounts, promo codes, freebies and price comparisons from the trusted Slickdeals community.

The next one up is 157 on amazon right now. Panasonic DMP-BD80

Your search for great deals and coupon savings ends here. Find the best bargains and money-saving offers, discounts, promo codes, freebies and price comparisons from the trusted Slickdeals community.

Comment

Originally posted by rekd0514 View Post
                      I have copied several blu-rays now to DVD-9 and I really cant say I can see much of a difference in them. At least using a 2 pass encoding software anyways. I am excited for DVDfab to get this as well. DVDfab still looks very good on DVD-9. You would have to pause and look closely to tell. I am even viewing on a over 100" from a 1080p projector as well. A Mitsubishi HC5500 to be exact.

Honestly online you can get most Blu-ray for the same price as the DVD. A few even include the DVD as well. Even Verbatim Blu-ray media can be had for $3 something per disc now. Blu-ray is not much more money and way better movie experience on most new movies.
                      Can u please show me where these discs r $3, cheers.

Comment

Can u please show me where these discs r $3, cheers.

http://www.runtechmedia.com/product....04-NPS-25&a=11

Comment

Here you go. I don't know what shipping is for you though.

They are basically $4 after shipping a piece for me anyways with $5.56 ground shipping.
                          Last edited by rekd0514; 11-08-2009, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X