Copy or Rip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copy or Rip?

Hi. New to this forum. I've been using Fab for about a year to copy DVD's to another disc or to my hard drive, very happy with it. My question is should I be ripping to my hard drive or copying? It works well the way I'm doing it. I guess if it ain't broke........!! I really don't know the difference or advantages to ripping or copying but would like some info from the knowledgeable folks here.
    Thanks, Jim

Jim,
    New also to this forum. Just to carify...ripping is taking data off a CD or DVD and putting on your HD. Copying starts out being the same thing.
    So are you asking whether its best to copy directly to a DVD or save to a folder then burn to a DVD? I used to like to copy directly to DVD and then move files from temp folder to permanent folder (before they are deleted) but I'm having alot of burning failures so I have unchecked "delete temp files" in the settings so I dont have to rip the DVD twice in case of a burn failure. I think the processes are the same except when copt to DVD your not saving the file perm. to HD
    Jim

Comment

Thanks. Sounds like either way works. I am using DVDFab DVD copy. Sometimes the destination is a folder on the HD, sometimes a blank disc. They both work fine for viewing. Burning a disc from the HD to a blank disc doesn't always work. Maybe that's where ripping would be a better way to go. Hope I'm making sense.

Jim

Comment

@ Jimroy & ibij2
        If you are having problems with your burns then why not post your logs
        Originally posted by Jimroy View Post
        Burning a disc from the HD to a blank disc doesn't always work. Jim
        Originally posted by ibij2 View Post
        Jim,
        I used to like to copy directly to DVD and then move files from temp folder to permanent folder (before they are deleted) but I'm having alot of burning failures so I have unchecked "delete temp files" in the settings so I dont have to rip the DVD twice in case of a burn failure.Jim
        The default location is:
        For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
        or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s) and post right here.
        CBR929
        Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

When folks refer to ripping, "decrypting" is usually implicit, but Jim (#2) is correct re: the definition of ripping.
          Just an FYI, Fab always rips to the hdd first, ie., it is not an on-the-fly-decrypter.

Since the files playback ok from the hdd, this is a strictly a burn problem.
          Recommend switching your burn engine from VSO (Fab's default burn engine ) to Img.
          Link in my sig for setting up Img with Fab.

Please post a burn log or 2.

The default location is:

For Win7
          C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
          or for XP
          C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

//Edit...Oh, oh. Sorry CB, didn't spot you in time.
          I should learn not to try and post at work with all the interruptions
          Last edited by maineman; 12-31-2010, 02:27 AM.
          If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Thanks CBR929 & maineman for the replies.
            I have been having more and more burn failures lately but attributed the problem to my media "TDK DVD+R DL 8x" or my factory gateway DVD Super drive. I have ordered some Verbatim DVD+R.
            Here is my latest burn log - 2 failures and the final success still has a chopped up 1st chapter.
            There was nothing current (2010) in the internal log folder.
            Thanks a bunch,
            Jim
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jimroy View Post
              Thanks. Sounds like either way works. I am using DVDFab DVD copy. Sometimes the destination is a folder on the HD, sometimes a blank disc. They both work fine for viewing. Burning a disc from the HD to a blank disc doesn't always work. Maybe that's where ripping would be a better way to go. Hope I'm making sense.

Jim
              What media are you using? TDK? Verbatim? And what quality are you burning to: DVD5 (single layer disk) or DVD9 (double layer disk)?
              Jim

Comment

Originally posted by ibij2 View Post
                Thanks CBR929 & maineman for the replies.
                I have been having more and more burn failures lately but attributed the problem to my media "TDK DVD+R DL 8x" or my factory gateway DVD Super drive. I have ordered some Verbatim DVD+R.
                Here is my latest burn log - 2 failures and the final success still has a chopped up 1st chapter.
                There was nothing current (2010) in the internal log folder.
                Thanks a bunch,
                Jim
                Good move dumping the Ritek media and switching to the verbs.

BTW, you're burning way too fast, particularly for the Riteks.
                Slow your burn speed to 4X or even 2.4X.

You will do yourself a huge favor by getting rid of VSO (problematic for many users) and switching to Img.

The video tutorial (the Img link in my sig) is no longer available..
                If you need help to set it up, take a look at the lower portion of this post:
                (I'll be putting a new tutorial together)

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

When I attempt to change from VSO to IMG burning I get message indicating can't find ImgBurn.exe
                  Is ImgBurn.exe downloaded with DVDFab 8 8.0.6.5, or do I need to get it elsewhere?

Comment

Nope, it is completely independent.
                    The author is Lightning UK! (same author as old, reliable dvd decrypter).

imgburn, imgburner, img burn, img burner, imageburn, imageburner, image burn, image burner, image write, image writer, iso burner, iso writer, cd burner, dvd burner, bin, cue, gcm, gi, img, iso, lst, nrg, mds, pdi, burn, burner, write, writer, image, drive, cuesheet, lightning uk, dvd decrypter, backup, cd, cdr, cdrw, dvd, dvdr, dvd-r, dvd-rw, dvd-r dl, dvd+r, dvd+rw, dvd+r dl, dvdram, hd dvd-r, hd dvd-rw, hd dvd-ram, bd-r, bd-re, dual layer, double layer, bluray, blu ray, blu-ray, hddvd, hd dvd, hd-dvd, burn audio, write audio, burn bin, write bin, burn cue, write cue, burn dvd, write dvd, burn iso, write iso, burn img, write img, write image, burn video_ts, write video_ts, burn bdmv, write bdmv, burn dvd video, write dvd video, burn bluray, write bluray, burn blu-ray, write blu-ray, layerbreak, layer break, VIDEO_TS, bup ifo vob

Comment

Originally posted by ws2615 View Post
                      When I attempt to change from VSO to IMG burning I get message indicating can't find ImgBurn.exe
                      Is ImgBurn.exe downloaded with DVDFab 8 8.0.6.5, or do I need to get it elsewhere?

You need to D/L the program from the web (it's a freebie) and install it.

Just 'Google' Imgburn and you'll find it fast enough.

DC

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
                        Good move dumping the Ritek media and switching to the verbs.

BTW, you're burning way too fast, particularly for the Riteks.
                        Slow your burn speed to 4X or even 2.4X.

You will do yourself a huge favor by getting rid of VSO (problematic for many users) and switching to Img.

The video tutorial (the Img link in my sig) is no longer available..
                        If you need help to set it up, take a look at the lower portion of this post:
                        (I'll be putting a new tutorial together)
                        Thank you maineman!
                        Lowered the speed (2.4). I also check the dvd-rom and verify options. Its weird but it said it failed but during the verify process. I checked the DVD and it plays perfectly.
                        Who knows??? I think the lower speed setting did it. I'm going to play with imgburn also. Thanks again.
                        Jim

Comment

Good to hear.
                          Happy burning!

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
                            Good to hear.
                            Happy burning!
                            Ditto
                            CBR929
                            Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Working...
                            X