Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of the Loop - Some Assistance Choosing Please

Pardon my ignorance folks....

I used to be "Hardcore" into backing up all of my DVD's a few yrs back, belonged to another Forum back then and used all the "free" Programs that ere available at that time with no issues producing "Back-up" Copies.

Used (still have):
    DVD Decrypter
    Shrink
    R4Me
    VOBlanker
    Imagburn
    DVDFab Hd (free)

Anyhow, just purchased the LG BD-R (in my Sig) and would now like to once again begin backing up my personal BR collection.

I'm a little "puzzled n overwhelmed" with all the choices now??

So, I want to "Rip" my BR to my HD and Save them their as "Backed-up" Imag Files .iso, then burn em to a blank BR media using Imageburn.

I'm willling to dive in and "finally" purchase the Fab Software, just not sure which one ????

Would Blueray to Blueray be the correct one? Also,

This i the Verbatim Media I purchased, is it fairly decent (not too many coasters)...I know Spindles aren't the est way to go, but 20 Discs for 29.99 is too hard to pass up.

If I Format my HD ( I seem to do this "clean-up" once a year) do I really need to spend another $7 so that I can Re-Download my Purchase Key??

Any help would be much appreciated.
    980X @ 4.2
    Classified 759 Mobo
    12 GB Dominators 1600 Mhz
    2 x GTX 580
    1 x 80GB Intel G2 (Boot)
    1 x 240GB Vertex II (Apps)
    2 x 640GB WD Blacks
    AX 1.2 kW
    LG BH10LS30 10X BD-R 16X DVD-RW
    Samsung DVD RW
    W7 HP x64

Just as you figured, to rip BD discs (& burn with Img), you'll need Blue-ray Copy.
    It really sounds like this is all that you'll need.

No, I still can't discern what possible benefit a user would have from the $7 "download insurance" nor from the $11.99 cd backup.
    You can D/L any current version of anything from right here on the Fab forum as well as from Fab's homepage.
    And why would I want to reinstall the same old version from a cd?

Here's a link to Fab's pricelist. It may help you to decide lifetime vs. other options.
    Also, don't forget to use the 25% off coupon
    FAB-DLM-OFF

//Edit
    Sorry, forget the pricelist link:
    Last edited by maineman; 01-03-2011, 01:51 AM. Reason: Forgot link
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Hey thanks a ton for the quick response......geez I've been trying to remember the Forum I once belonged to way back then, but I just cannot come up with it......hhhhmmmm....I know it was related to DVD Shrink / DVD Decrypter

Anyhow, yeah I guess once I purchase the Software if I Re-install the OS its simply a matter of Downloading the latest version and using my purchased product Key right?

Is the Licensed Product Key I purchase ok for more than one PC, I'm at work on my personal Notebook, if I install it on here can I still install it on my Primary Rig at home?

What s the difference between Blueray Copy and Blueray Ripper?....if Blueray Copy first Rips to HDD ...hhmm don't get it?

Also, how about that Media I chose...says "Banded"...still alright? I know burning DVD's the particular brand was important for me as some were simply Coasters from the get go
      Last edited by rjbarker; 01-03-2011, 02:15 AM.
      980X @ 4.2
      Classified 759 Mobo
      2 x GTX 580
      1 x 80GB Intel G2 (Boot)
      2 x 640GB WD Blacks
      AX 1.2 kW
      Samsung DVD RW
      W7 HP x64

Comment

Sure thing.

Reinstall os, etc. Yup, just D/L here or Fab's homepage.

Re: your regkey, personally, I'd save it to a flash drive, slave hdd, ext email server, etc.
        However, you can now D/L your regkey from DVDFab.com > Members, once you register there.
        Much more efficient and reliable than email.

Honestly, I've never burned a BD in my life, but the MID is important.
        I rip 'em and view them all via my media player.
        Cheaper, more reliable and so much more convenient.

I'd look around a bit at the media thread in the Chat subforum as well as the Blu-ray Copy subforum.
        More than likely someone will pop in and give you some advice right here

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

^^^^ Perfect thanks. I've already purchased the Media, so we'll see if "Backing-up" a BR is as easy as was DVD

Cheers
          980X @ 4.2
          Classified 759 Mobo
          2 x GTX 580
          1 x 80GB Intel G2 (Boot)
          2 x 640GB WD Blacks
          AX 1.2 kW
          Samsung DVD RW
          W7 HP x64

Comment

Just to add to maineman's "excellent as always" advice, the discs that you've purchased are Verbatims LTH media it appears, which are manufactured on DVD lines instead of BD to cut costs and are made using the LTH(Low To High) method instead of the

normal way of HTL(High To Low) like other discs. You should have no problem with them, you just have to make sure that your burner can support them, which they should as a buddy of mine has the LG WH10LS30 and I don't think he has a problem with

them.

Also, so I take it from your purchase of the BD-25 discs that you will be shrinking your blu-rays. Do you plan on keeping the whole disc(with extras and menus) or just the movie itself? I would suggest just the movie as it saves on compression done to

the movie. For that you would want the "Main Movie" option. And make sure that you rip the full disk to your hard drive first with no compression, then select the ripped folder/iso as the source and a different hard drive as target if possible to maximize

speed. This will save wear and tear on your burner as it won't have to read from your drive for hours on end. Then select the BD-25 option and I would suggest just the HD audio track and all of your languages subtitles, which I'm assuming is English.

Good luck and welcome to the world of blu-ray!
            Last edited by Racem22; 01-03-2011, 08:53 AM.
            SPECS
            DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
            SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

...I see Racem22 popped in to help out.
              You can always take his advice to the bank...

Originally posted by rjbarker View Post
              What s the difference between Blueray Copy and Blueray Ripper?....if Blueray Copy first Rips to HDD ...hhmm don't get it?
              Sorry, I missed this one..

The name, Blu-ray Ripper is a bit of a misnomer.
              Yes, it will rip, but not to standard BD file structure.

It is a ripper/converter and will rip and convert BD to...

"various video files playable on next generation consoles like PS3 and Xbox 360, HD player like WD TV Live, or mobile devices like iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc. And it can also extract audio out of video"

Comment

Working...
              X