WDTV no audio from any DVD Ripper produced files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Hardware WDTV no audio from any DVD Ripper produced files

Hi, I'm new to this forum - thanks in advance for the help!
    I can no longer hear audio when playing files created using DVDFAB DVD Ripper, when playing them back on my WDTV device (I have two of these devices, one WDTV Live and one WDTV Live HD - same problem started on both).
    Note that DVDFab encoded files used to work on WDTV - but I'm not sure if the problem started with a DVDFab update or a WDTV update (both happened recently). It makes no difference which DVD title I use, and it makes not difference whether DVDFab is producing MKV, AVI, or MP4 format. And these same files, if played with VNC on the PC work fine and have normal audio.
    If I encode the same DVD directory encoded with other program, the output works fine on WDTV (note that in both cases, I'm pointing to the VOB source directory decrypted by DVDFab).
    I'm using DVDFab 8.0.7 (beta - upgraded today from the released version but same problem), and on WDTV units, current software updates that were released within the past month.
    All help appreciated - Steve
    Last edited by AGJ; 01-15-2011, 06:17 AM. Reason: General Policies

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum. I've noticed the last couple updates default the audio setting to 5.1 multichannel with a really high bit rate of 448 kbps and your system may not be able to play that. After selecting the movie click the edit button, the audio setting is in the lower left. See if it's the 5.1 multichannel setting and try one of the others. I use stereo cause that's all I've got and it plays fine.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Are you using the Audiocopy profiles.

Make sure that you are selecting the DD5.1 soundtrack...
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I reset the data rate setting but that didn't help to bring the audio back. However, after experimenting with other settings (such as what GregiBoy suggested), I brought up the main configuration panel (green checkmark in the main screen), and noted there's a "default audio channel" setting, which I may have changed at some point previously. To ensure it was returned to the default value, I pressed the "default" button, and restarted the program as it recommended. After my next trial rip, the audio came back!

I suspect that the problem was that ripped files were not specifying the default audio track in a way that WDTV recognized, due to a config setting I had changed. Interenstingly, WDTV provides an option to select the audio track during playback, but on the ripped files, no tracks were listed. I know the track is there - because the audio plays back fine on VLC. My advice to anyone who experiences getting no audio from DVDFab ripped files on WDTV, is to return the DVDFab config to default and try ripping again.

Thanks for the help 903122 & GregiBoy. - Steve

Comment

Working...
        X