Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when to use what

new here so firstly to say 'Hi' to all.

i am a complete novice as far as DVDFab and blu ray/ps3 playback is concerned, so need plenty of help, if you guys dont mind. i have read some of the tutorials which i found pretty informative. however, the thing that i find confusing atm is when do you use what function/option?
    for example, say i have a movie on a single layer blu ray disk. i would like to make a back up of the whole disk, if possible, to another blu ray disk. which of the available dvdfab options do i use? the 'clone' option? if so, will the region codes etc be removed, or will they be on the copy? will it then play in a ps3? if not, which option should i use?
    as a ps3 will play a blu ray movie, why would i have to use the 'blu ray to ps3' option? does that allow a new disk to be burnt, or is it to allow the movie to be streamed from pc to ps3 only?
    are region codes automatically removed during copying? will a UK blu ray disk play, say, in USA or vice versa?
    does a blu ray disk have to be ripped to pc hdd, then burnt or can a straight disk to disk copy be done?

sorry for being so thick guys. hope someone will have the time and patience to help me or point me to where i can find the info.
    please be gentle. we all have to learn.

TIA

when to use what

had no responses so sorry if i asked the wrong questions or asked in the wrong way.
    anyway, have had a few tries but had no luck. have tried ripping blu ray to hdd first with other program and then dvdfab. when i try to do 'movie only' copy using the ripped file as source, my machine crashes about 40% through process. when using 'blu ray rip to ps3' using the ripped file as source, i get an error message and the program stops responding.
    i am obviously doing things wrong, but dont know what. any advice as to what may be wrong, please and how to correct things?
    my set up is windows 7 ultimate, amd phenom ll 955 quad core cpu (clocked to approx 3.5gig) and nvidia gforce 9600 gso 512 card with 4gig ddr2 800mhz ram.

TIA
    Last edited by AGJ; 02-07-2011, 01:39 AM. Reason: General Policies

Comment

when to use what

many tnx for reply. so what i have tried so far, ie: a) rip whole movie from disk to hdd with other program, then use dvdfab to rip 'movie only' from hdd to BD9 is wrong? b) using dvdfab to rip 'movie only' from hdd, then reduce to BD9 is wrong? once ripped to hdd will try your suggestions and see what happens. will post log if i fail again but wont be able to give burn log, as never been able to get the rip sorted out. didn't realise about the ps3 option for just transferring file to ps3 hdd. tnx for that.
      from your info, i assume that if i want to put more than one movie on to a 25gig disk, i would use a BD9 option instead of the 25gig option to reduce the file size, then burn the 2 or 3 files on to a 25gig disk?
      when the previous attempts have been started, the cuda option has been enabled. i assume my card is therefore cuda capable and that starts automatically. are there settings to ensure that will work? if so, where do i check those settings and what should they be, please?
      many tnx again
      Last edited by AGJ; 02-07-2011, 07:40 AM. Reason: General Policies

Comment

We'll need the logs that AGJ mentioned in order to offer specific help.

The default location is:

For Win7
        C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

You're also trying to figure out/accomplish too much at one time.
        Are the inital ripped BD files intact?, play ok when viewed from the hdd?

Please do as AGJ suggested and do the initial rip, uncompressed, with Blu-ray Copy and make sure this was successful.
        If yes, go ahead and try to compress to a BD9 using the already ripped hdd files as Source
        Re: your A/V codec settings, I use the following:

Click image for larger version

Name:	AV Codec.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	305189

If you believe you're having problems with GPU acceleration, you can try changing the Video Decoder and Video Encoder settings to
        "Software" only.
        Also, untick "Enable Lightning-Recoding"
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

when to use what

tnx for reply also, maineman. i followed the instructions from AGJ. i also found a reply to a post (sorry, dont know by whom) concerning CUDA, so changed the settings for Video decoder H264, VC1 and MPEG2 all to CUDA. Video Encoder i left at software and CUDA. i also unticked the box for the lightning recoding. dont know if what i have done is correct, but did the changes before i saw your reply, maineman. perhaps you could tell me? didn't know whether ok or not to include the stereo sound option and leave/remove the 5.1 option that was auto selected, but added it anyway. anyway, all went fine with the 'main movie' copy to hdd and burnt disk (used ImgBurn) plays fine in ps3. then did the same thing using the BD9 instead of 25gig option. all again went fine copying to pc hdd, but have not burnt this new image to disk. it does, however, play fine on pc.
          something i noticed was that whilst playing the burnt disk on the ps3 that it changed from 16:9 (letterbox?) to full screen and back a couple of times. i dont know if that is the disk, the ps3 (is set to letterbox) or the TV. i also noticed that there was no 'CERTIFICATE' folder produced with BD9 rip, but assume that will happen if i try to burn to disk with ImgBurn?
          at this moment, there are no logs to show you as the settings suggested and the video changes i made seem to be working.
          the next thing is will i be able to burn maybe 3 movies to the same 25gig disk, be able to select the one i want to watch and have it/them play on the ps3? will i have to produce a menu somehow? if so, how do i include that on the disk?
          as far as the blu ray ripper to ps3 option being for putting files on to ps3 hdd (which i didn't know), is there a tutorial on how to do that, please?
          asking a lot of you guys. hope you dont mind

TIA again

Comment

Working...
          X