Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Hardware Upgrading my computer

hi all

Just some general enquiries. I've got DVD blue Ray 2 DVD copier. It takes about 5 hours to do, I'm going to upgrade my computer to a dual core processor and 4 gig of ram . I was just wondering if this will cut the time down to copy a blue Ray 2 DVD, I know it may be a silly question but I do not want to pay out on a new motherboard and processor if this is not going to really speed up the process. At the moment I'm running a single processor and 1 gig of ram. Thank you in advance for all your answers.
    :) never look down on anyone unless you're looking down at them to help them up:)

Well, yes it will be faster, but by how much? how much did it cost you?
    and did you get the biggest bang for your buck?
    It's a balancing act as to what you want and what you can afford.

You need a robust cpu. Since you're biting the bullet and buying a new motherboard, go with the most robust cpu you can afford.
    Personally, if I were going to do it (and I did), go with a core i7 /Quad and you can keep it under $300.

You also need a decent NVIDIA CUDA enabled card and a decent psu
    Give us an idea of your budget.
    Will you be doing the build?

There was a recent thread like this one. For starters, you might want to look it over:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

hi

Thank you for your reply. At the moment I run on Windows xp pro sp3 . The processor is a Intel Pentium 4 3.6 ghz . With 1gb of RAM and a Intel graphics controller. The new motherboard and processor I'm thinking about buying is a Intel Pentium dual core e5700 3.0ghz and 4gb ddr3 1333 mhz ram. I will be doing the installation myself. My budget is about £150 . One more question I'm only running at the moment on 1 gb of RAM would it increase the speed of what I've got if I increase the RAM to 2 gb . Once again thank you for your time.
      :) never look down on anyone unless you're looking down at them to help them up:)

Comment

I'd save your $ until you can upgrade to a beefier cpu.
        1 GB RAM isn't a lot these days, but it's adeqaute for XP, the least of your problems, and will not offer a reasonable cost to benefit ratio here.

After your cpu, you need to dump the onboard video and move up to a decent NVIDIA CUDA enabled card.

I just don't think the money you're spending is worth the performance you'll realize...JMO
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

hi

Thank You maineman for your honest advice it is much appreciated. I thought if I upgraded my processor and ram it would speed up the complete blue ray 2 DVD a lot quicker, if it's only going to do it a little bit quicker then I might as well save my pennies and wait until I can afford a better setup. Once again thank you for your time and advice

Comment

Working...
          X