This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDFab Folder and DVD to DVD Option

I've installed this and, it seems every time I open it I get a folder "DVDFab" created in my Documents folder...I'm wondering how it can stop doing this, I chose the output directory to be somewhere else, but I guess doing that does not suffice. How to I stop making DVDFab create a folder in my documents folder? How can I make it detect if "DVDFab" is in my VIDEOS folder, which it is, thus it will not be creating a new folder in my documents ever time it opens?

Secondly I'm wondering, DVD to DVD seems to be transferring DVD material into another DVD, so there must be two DVDs within your computer.

However I notice it's not really DVD to DVD in the sense that, my output directly is a folder on my C drive so isn't this really "DVD to Harddisk"?

Finally, user interface options are only the options on the page that has the green "start" button on the bottom right hand corner, right?
    Last edited by Meteora; 11-11-2009, 05:00 AM.

That is installed their by default as it is the output directory so if you want to change that go into Common settings general and change the Output directory to the spot you want it but do not put it in the same spot as your temporary directory

Comment

Originally posted by Meteora View Post
      I've installed this and, it seems every time I open it I get a folder "DVDFab" created in my Documents folder...I'm wondering how it can stop doing this, I chose the output directory to be somewhere else, but I guess doing that does not suffice. How to I stop making DVDFab create a folder in my documents folder? How can I make it detect if "DVDFab" is in my VIDEOS folder, which it is, thus it will not be creating a new folder in my documents ever time it opens?
      You're comparing/contrasting apples and oranges here.
      Although the default location is My Documents for both directories, you can select any location on your hdd for your output directory and your temporary directory,
      ie., your VIDEO_TS FOLDERS & AUDIO_TS FOLDERS and if you choose, .ISO files as well.

Regardless, Fab will nevertheless create an additional folder in My Documents.
      This is NOT for your movie files but is comprised of burn logs, crash logs, etc...virtually all nominal data.

I have no idea what you mean by,
      "How can I make it detect if "DVDFab" is in my VIDEOS folder"

Secondly I'm wondering, DVD to DVD seems to be transferring DVD material into another DVD, so there must be two DVDs within your computer.

However I notice it's not really DVD to DVD in the sense that, my output directly is a folder on my C drive so isn't this really "DVD to Harddisk"?
      Fab is not an on-the-fly-decrypter. It will always rip to a hdd location first. Whether or not the user chooses to delete the temp directory (automatically or manually) is a matter of user preference and there are a number of ways to accomplish this.

Fab, of course, will copy or burn to a blank disc (referring here to the retail app, not the freeware app) and can perform this task whether you have 1 burner or 10.
      With just one, obviously the user would have to swap out the source disc and the target disc.

Finally, user interface options are only the options on the page that has the green "start" button on the bottom right hand corner, right?
      No.
      There are any number of options that the user can avail himself of...
      Click on the little white check mark icon in the green circle...upper right of the screen to navigate to Common Settings..

Please read over the Fab tutorial.
      I believe many of your questions will be answered right there.
      Click on the ? mark icon on the upper right to navigate to the guide.
      Last edited by maineman; 11-11-2009, 05:53 AM.
      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
        You're comparing/contrasting apples and oranges here.
        Although the default location is My Documents for both directories, you can select any location on your hdd for your output directory and your temporary directory,
        ie., your VIDEO_TS FOLDERS & AUDIO_TS FOLDERS and if you choose, .ISO files as well.

Regardless, Fab will nevertheless create an additional folder in My Documents.
        This is NOT for your movie files but is comprised of burn logs, crash logs, etc...virtually all nominal data.

I have no idea what you mean by,
        "How can I make it detect if "DVDFab" is in my VIDEOS folder"

Fab is not an on-the-fly-decrypter. It will always rip to a hdd location first. Whether or not the user chooses to delete the temp directory (automatically or manually) is a matter of user preference and there are a number of ways to accomplish this.

Fab, of course, will copy or burn to a blank disc (referring here to the retail app, not the freeware app) and can perform this task whether you have 1 burner or 10.
        With just one, obviously the user would have to swap out the source disc and the target disc.

No.
        There are any number of options that the user can avail himself of...
        Click on the little white check mark icon in the green circle...upper right of the screen to navigate to Common Settings..

Please read over the Fab tutorial.
        I believe many of your questions will be answered right there.
        Click on the ? mark icon on the upper right to navigate to the guide.
        I see it has to make a folder in my Documents, ok. Just kind of annoying though since it has to make it's own individual folder called DVDFab, and not just create log files within My Docs. I'd prefer having it go to a certain location in My Docs if need be, not make it have it's own damn folder but no problem I can just delete it...

I meant it should detect if a folder called DVDFab is in my videos folder because that's where i moved the DVDFab folder to, the one it made in my Docs. It ALWAYS checks if there is one in My Docs and if there isn't one it will make it, if there is, it won't and it will just put the log files in the existing one. I wanted it to detect if a DVDFab folder was in MY VIDEOS folder instead, that way it won't be making any new folder, because My Videos is where I want that folder to be.

I asked the last thing because I don't think what it means by "user interface" is referring to the check boxes in the green arrow menu, it must be referring to the option on the main screen because even when you have the option "memorize my user interface options" UNCHECKED, it will still memorize all the checks you placed and didn't place in the green circle white arrow menu, so it can't be referring to those. It should be referring to the ones on the main screen, not sure why I haven't tried this yet, I'll go check this now.

However way more importantly than that, I have a question about ISO. I realized, this becomes a zip file in an ISO folder it automatically creates. I extracted the video and audio folders from this. Are these, the same folders that would have been made EVEN if I didn't choose to have and ISO file? Earlier I picked the "Main Movie" option and the target area to be within a folder on my hard drive, and this made a video and audio folder folder for my one movie. Audio folder was blank as expected, however in both cases, with the ISO and without one, the video folder IFO and BUP files in addition to the more significant VBO files which make up the movie. Are the VBO files in both cases, the ISO and the other, the same quality? It took a long time to rip this DVD so I don't want to do it again and compare. If someone here is sure then I'll trust him. Yeah I'm picky about quality...
        Last edited by Meteora; 11-11-2009, 10:27 PM.

Comment

I don't think I can edit my last post. I was also going to say, WOW! BY ACCIDENT I discovered that IFO plays all the VOB's at once, so there is no missed dialogue if someone was speaking between 2 sections and he got interupted! I know they can't stand on their own though...I read the IFO file needs to be with the VOB files to work, which makes sense since IFO is just information.

...Why do I have TWO ifo files though? And, they do the same thing, play the movie from start to finish.

As for the BUP (backup files), I know what it does, but how do I utilize it when the time is right?

Last question is it possible to view subtitles from what I extracted (from the DVD)? Because I know the DVD itself has subs, but what about what I extracted (the VOB files)?

Comment

You may have multiple IFO's, one for every title set on the DVD. VIDEO_TS.IFO is the first one processed and will jump to the respective IFO's when menu buttons are pressed. The BUP file is a backup of the IFO file. In case the IFO files becomes unreadable, most players will then fall back to the BUP.

For example, on Star Trek XI, the main title is contained in VTS_07 and all there is the IFO, BUP and multiple VOB's.

The IFO's will also tell what subtitles, audio stream, etc to use even though they are contained within the VOB's.
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Hi

1. Do you know if doing ISO is the same as not doing it, in terms of video quality, considering, it just places a ZIP file in an ISO folder and what your extract for it is a video and audio folder, apparently being the same ones that download when you do a normal rip from the DVD? For example instead of choosing ISO for my destination, I pick a folder on my hardrive, and the same 2 folders you extract from the ISO zip file are the same ones that download when you DON'T choose to do ISO.

Are the same movies downloaded, in these two options the same quality?

2. How would I display subtitles? For example is this available only with a "Full Disc" rip as opposed to "Main Movie"? Because I've been doing Main Movie lately.

Comment

Ok I know someone here knows what the purpose is for choosing ISO. But seeing as I just started using this software for about a week, there may be something I don't know. I THINK the only benefit of choosing ISO is the it basically puts everything into one file, an ISO file, that you can extract the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders from, the SAME EXACT folders that would have been made ANYWAY had you chosen not to do ISO. Is this right?? I just want to be sure that I'm not picking a lower quality dvd ripping, although I don't think this is the case since when I extracted the 2 folders from the ISO file, the sizes were the exact same as the folders that were created but not via the ISO option, equal even to the last byte.

Comment

You are totally correct in your thoughts.
                  "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

An .ISO is simply a container, if you will.
                    There is absolutely no difference in quality...provided, of course, that the files were ripped in an identical fashion, ie., compression ratio, etc.

Whether you choose VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS FOLDERS or .ISO is largely determined by how you will handle/manipulate/modify the files and then also what your personal preferences are...

//Edit
                    Hey Greg, I see I'm still old and slow...
                    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

The only benefit of creating an iso is you can mount it to a virtual player and it will act the same as the original DVD and play back on software on your computer making sure menus and everything else is correct. Click on the link in GregiBoys sig "DVDFab Knowledge Base" and from there guide/tips from users.

Comment

Working...
                      X