More resolution questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More resolution questions...

I guess this question is mainly for GregiBoy, but anyone wanting to chime-in feel free.

Already read "Best Practices" guide, as well as everything I could find on the forums. Still have some confusion...

I have a Panasonic TC-P46C2 (46" 720P Plasma). My media player is my Philips DVP-5992 (can't do h264 or mkv).

Using The Dark Knight as test material. Already ripped to HD and now wanting to encode using generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy.

Already have most settings finalized and understood. I will be using 2-Pass encoding, fixed BR of 1500, framerate and audio same as source.

I'm sure my question is not new, but I could not find a answer regarding it...

I read one of your posts in the "New Profiles" thread stating to use 720x400 for wide screen and 720x576 for full screen. Should I really only ever use these two settings?

The default resolution fab wants to use is 720x304 which results in .286 bpp. I can easily go to "Video Effect Settings" and add a custom resolution of 720x400 which results in a bpp of .217. I also noticed that the output preview of the video shows letterboxing when set to 720x400.

So, should I always encode everything in 720x400 and 720x576? Or just use the default resolution?

P.S. Another confusing road block. Trying to encode Winsor Pilates for my wife. The DVD is fullscreen and fab wants to use a resolution of 600x452 resulting in a bpp of .185. Tried to add a custom resolution of 720x576 and it won't let me add it...

Any help is appreciated.

Some media players will not letterbox properly and stretch the 304 pixels to 400 which stretches the original aspect ratio. It is a "SAFE" option to use over multiple models of players.

If your player maintains the correct aspect ration with the 304 height letterboxed, there is no need to do this but please note the above proviso.

Need more details on actual specific source dimensions for your second problem.

Comment

Originally posted by StormTrooper View Post
      Some media players will not letterbox properly and stretch the 304 pixels to 400 which stretches the original aspect ratio. It is a "SAFE" option to use over multiple models of players.

If your player maintains the correct aspect ration with the 304 height letterboxed, there is no need to do this but please note the above proviso.

Need more details on actual specific source dimensions for your second problem.
      Awesome, thanks for the info on the first confusion. So, if my DVD player is going to be the only device I plan on using, and it letterboxes properly, I can just go ahead and always use the default res chosen by dvdfab?

As for the other problem...

Info on Winsor Pilates:
      20_MINUTE_WORKOUT: Title(3), Play Time(00:23:14)
      Original Frame Resolution (640 x 480)
      Original Aspect Ratio (1.33:1)
      Cropped Aspect Ratio (1.33:1)
      Source Zoom: 61%
      Output Zoom: 70%
      Output Size: 600 x 450

dvdfab defaults to 600x452 .185 BPP 1.32743 AR

I am unable to add a custom res of 720x576 using the generic profile, however, I created a modified profile and used the "size list" tag to try and set 720x576. Using this, dvdfab resulted in showing a default res of 720x542 .128 BPP 1.32841 AR...
      Last edited by ocdboy777; 03-01-2011, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Yeah, you can use the 304 so long as your player will play it letterboxed OK.

The second one looks like a badly authored DVD. I bet it's authored at 640 x 480 but when cropping kicks in, the actual image is only 600 x 452.

There is nothing to be gained by going larger so just accept what Fab is telling you.

Low volume titles such as Exercise/Workout/Education are generally poorly authored so you may have to have a bit of a think about the process.

Comment

PS: I will bet you lend the 304 file to friend/relative that has a player that will not letterbox properly !!!

Comment

Working...
          X