Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to DVDFab and needing some help

Hello all
    Im new to using DVDFab, and have a some questions. I am wanting to put our dvd's onto an external hard drive for my husband who is a long haul trucker. He will be watching them on his laptop. How do I go about doing htis correctly, and what sort of program does he need to be able to watch the movies? I have looked at the tutorials, but am still having some probs with understanding what I am doing and any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

The simplest and easiest method is to use DVD Copy and simply rip the original disc (select this as your Source)
    to the external hdd (select this as your Target).

For playback, install VLC or Media Player Classic...or both.
    Both are freeware software players that are easily installed (and cheaply...as in free!) on your husband's laptop.
    Both players are excellent.

If hdd space becomes an iissue or there are other stumbling blocks, this can get a bit more complicated.

Let us know how you get on.

Comment

dvdfab help

Thanks so much for your response, but do I install the VLC on the external hard drive or on the laptop?

Comment

Nope, install on the laptop since your husband will be utilizing the laptop for playback.
        Best to utilize the ext hdd just for storage

You're welcome

Comment

DVD help

I got the movies onto the external hd, and then installed VLC. I must be doing something wrong because when I playback the movies there isnt any sound. In the folder of the movie there are 5 or 6 different icons? to choose from to play with VLC, not sure what I'm supposed to do?
          Is there something I should be doing in Fab before copying?

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi kid View Post
            I got the movies onto the external hd, and then installed VLC. I must be doing something wrong because when I playback the movies there isnt any sound. In the folder of the movie there are 5 or 6 different icons? to choose from to play with VLC, not sure what I'm supposed to do?
            Is there something I should be doing in Fab before copying?
            Do not try to play from each icon. Play from the folder.
            Right click on the folder and click on---- Play with VLC.

Comment

I would do exactly as Gruñón suggests, ie., right click on the movie folder, not on individual files/icons and play (or associate) with VLC.

If you're still having trouble, you can open VLC, click on Media menu (on upper left) > click on Folder (not File) from the dropdown
              and then navigate to the desired movie folder
              Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2011, 08:39 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Thank you so much for all your help, I finally "got it" lol. I am really enjoying using Fab, especially now as one of the movies I copied was lent to a friend and it got badly gouged and can't be played. At least I have it in the hard drive and it is my understanding that I can legally copy it to a dvd for personal use.
                Once again thanks for helping me.

Comment

We're happy to have helped and glad to hear you're up and running smoothly

Comment

Working...
                  X